Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rooker - what was old is now new

Navyintel,
I finally got around to throwing one together this morning.

Rooker - what was old is now new-rooker-002.jpg
Attachment 42311
Attachment 42312

It is a little wider bladed than usual. I went out to my cold and presumably "clean" oven to try it out. I easily raked out another 5 or 6 tablespoons of ash hiding in the corners. The shape of these things make it much easier to rake the very back. The hoe I was using did not get to that area real well. It is also much easier to rake the blind spots just the sides of the arch. The rooker is a great little tool and, very easy to build.

Thanks for the idea .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 04-27-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Rooker - what was old is now new

G'day Gulf
That looks the part. I'm warming to this tool more and more as time goes on.
I recon if I can find some steel to suit I'm going to make myself one. My oven entrance protrudes into the oven floor and I recon there's ash in those corners from the first fire!
I've put away some 1 1/4 in hard wood stock away for the handle already. It will plane and sand up well.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-27-2014, 05:57 PM
Master Builder

This rooker seems to be an interesting tool, and getting some good reports. I have been using this curved bladed tool to move the fire around the oven and remove ash and coals etc. It is made of aluminium sheet and is a little less than 3" across the blade. It works both left and right handed and I use it to both push and drag ash and coals. As you can see it is a front line tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Rooker - what was old is now new-sam_0050.jpg   Rooker - what was old is now new-sam_0055.jpg  
Gulf likes this.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Laborer

Gulf's tool looks great. The design has the final metal at 90 degrees and straight, not curved. This makes 100% of the coals in contact with the tool regardless of the handel angle. Good job.

Michael
Old 04-27-2014, 09:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
This rooker seems to be an interesting tool, and getting some good reports. I have been using this curved bladed tool to move the fire around the oven and remove ash and coals etc. It is made of aluminium sheet and is a little less than 3" across the blade. It works both left and right handed and I use it to both push and drag ash and coals. As you can see it is a front line tool.
G'day Steve
How thick is that blade? I have some aluminum which is 2.5 mm thick that might make a good rooker if it stiff enough. I like aluminium ...less likely to wear an chip the oven
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-27-2014, 11:43 PM
Master Builder

Hey Dave - It is probably 2 mm but 2.5 would work fine, probably better. I agree, stainless is nice but aluminium is easy to work and gentle on the brickwork.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics