Old 11-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Roof-thinking ahead

Woods Witch
Nice job!

I see you did a fieldstone veneer like I am planning. Do you have any resources (youtube, whatever) which gives some tips as to how to do this?

I laid my first brick when I started my oven, so I'm not exactly a skilled mason!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Apprentice

I am lucky that the property I built my home on had and old house we tore down that had the old sandstone foundation as well as an old well house foundation, I have used these stone over the past 15 years for everything, even the exterior of my detached garage. It cuts like a loaf of bread. (a hard loaf).
I plan on using the stone on my pizza oven also.

Installing the fieldstone or cut sandstone is not difficult. I nailed the metal mesh to the building then mortared in a row at a time because I was dealing with large stone sizes.
You can butter up the back of the stone and set it in place with a wedge to leave the mortar gap and then fill in the mortar. I like to place the mortar joint as I go even if I have a wedge or stone piece holding the larger stone up off of the lower stone. Since real stone is heavier, I recommend only one row at a time until the mortar sets up. Smaller stones allow you to do multiple rows at once. Make sure you wash the stone before using them. You can not put too many nails in the metal mesh if you are using it. I am not sure you need it on the cement board though.

Last edited by gtofani; 11-08-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Laborer

Wow - you are lucky. I'm on the Canadian Shield and all I got is vast quantites of hard, round rocks.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Apprentice

You will appreciate your oven much more if you gather the stones from around your home as opposed to buying them.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Peasant

I also noticed you were cooking with a tarp over your oven, did you have the insulation on already?[/QUOTE]

We did have refractory blanketing on the dome when those pix were taken. Before we closed the roof in, we loaded it up with as much insulation that we could fit in. You can't see it in any of our pics, but in the back of the oven we cut a hole about 8" in diameter and put a copper cover over it to allow moisture to escape. Our oven retains heat very, very nicely.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Peasant

I agree with gtofani, it's not so hard to face with stone but it takes alot of mortar! I also think that whatever local materials you can include with the finishing of your oven, the better it looks. We just kind of figured it out as we went and are happy with the results. So many people have such beautiful ovens on this site...you can spend hours getting inspired!

and thanks for the compliments