Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   The reverse build. (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/reverse-build-15263.html)

brickie in oz 01-24-2011 06:26 PM

The reverse build.

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a the reverse build of my oven in preparation for a new oven that will live over the top of this base.

I built it as directed from a course I did on pizza ovens, obviously there isnt enough thermal mass on top to retain heat for any extended time.

Its a good learning experience.

brickie in oz 01-24-2011 06:30 PM

Re: The reverse build.

2 Attachment(s)
More pics.

Tscarborough 01-24-2011 06:44 PM

Tear that Mutha Down!

Lburou 01-24-2011 07:02 PM

Brickie, consider the cost of that oven as your tuition to the university of life, and the information gained as hard won knowledge ;)

Is that layer serving as the underside of the dome a cast refractory?

:)

brickie in oz 01-24-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lburou (Post 106548)
Is that layer serving as the underside of the dome a cast refractory

Correct, two 1" coats then 1" ceramic blanket and topped with vermiculite ranging from 2" to 4".

brickie in oz 01-24-2011 09:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The cast oven cracked like an Easter egg when I hit it with the large persuader. :p

The old oven base ready for a make over. Sounds Like a TV show title. :rolleyes:

I was really surprised at how much moisture there was in the vermiculite at the rear of the oven. :eek:
The oven has a roof over it plus a concrete cap painted with vinyl paint, I would have thought it was water proof? :confused: (The oven was 2 years old so was properly cured.)

Tscarborough 01-24-2011 09:06 PM

Are you gong back with brick or more castable?

brickie in oz 01-24-2011 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tscarborough (Post 106560)
Are you gong back with brick or more castable?

Im going to build it with clay pavers in a barrellish shape.
The oven roof will be a low arch front to back with round tapering front and rear.
The roof will only rise 300mm from the side walls that will be 340mm, all measurements are 'ish

Heres a rough side elevation, the oven will be just over 1M long and 700mm wide x 650 high internally.

Tscarborough 01-24-2011 09:24 PM

'Verra nice! Do you think that doming the front is worth the extra effort (obviously you do)?

That is one of the features of the Alan Scott design I am not comfortable with. It may be marginally more effective, but the added complexity is significant for the return in efficiency.

Not so much for you, but for ordinary non-mason builders.

brickie in oz 01-24-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tscarborough (Post 106562)
That is one of the features of the Alan Scott design I am not comfortable with.

Hmmm? :confused:
I had thought that the doming down would help fire the oven better and keep some more heat in the oven.

I could be wrong, whats your thoughts?

I have seen the Alan Scott builds and they disgust me, they dont even bond the arch dome in? Why wouldnt you bond the arches in? :confused: