Old 09-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Peasant

Default Re: rebuilding mobile oven

What's the latest on your mobile oven? Don't leave us in suspense. Don't you realize that you're holding the rest of us back who are waiting to learn from your success. Did you end up casting one?
Old 09-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Serf

Sorry for the delay, I had forgotten I started the thread months and months ago. I'm glad you rattled my cage (or oven). Yesterday we finished casting the walls of our oven, and it was quite a process. After some trial and error we hit upon wiggle board plywood as our form building material. It is special plywood (we used 3/8") that has each ply oriented the same direction so it is very flexible. You can bend a big piece in a 3" radius if you like. Then using a little high school geometry we made 2 segments of cone forms (inside and outside walls) did some elaborate bracing and poured/packed in our castible. On our first pour a week ago, I miscalculated how much castible to buy and we ran way short. This necessitated splining the top of the first pour with brass spline/keys and making a second pour using a refractory cement as an adhesive.We are now in the process of making a dome lid form. I made a template platform the size and shape of the oven top and used thin strips of wood (1/16" x 1/2") and arched them over the platform forming a dome skeleton. Over this we paper machéd a skin to make our mold. next week we will finish pouring the lid in place on the oven and we will about be ready to fire it up. As for product, we stuck with Harrison-Walker. We used KS 4V Plus for the oven structure and Sairset as the adhesive to make a good bond between pours. We have Greenlee 45L to use as a insulated filler around the oven, but I don't think there will be room for much. You don't have to tell me how much work this has been. I'm painfully aware, but what a learning experience. I'll keep you posted as to our progress and can include a few pictures if you like.
jim
Old 09-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Peasant

It's perfectly fine to delay. I'm just grubbing for some good info, stories, and progress reports. Thanks for taking the time.

As for future updates and pictures? Wow, you need not ask. We'd all love them I'm sure!

Thanks again.