Old 05-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Pizza Peel Ponderings

Hi Guys,

Sorry I am late to this thread. First things first.

There are two distinct metal peels types: placing peels and turning peels. You just can't get around the fact that a placing peel is terrible at turning pizzas, and a turning peel is too small to get a pizza.

That's why the large, rectangular peels are perfect for placing. They are roughly the same size as your pizza and they have a thin blade that is perfect for sliding under a pizza (either on a solid work surface or from a small wood prep peel). They are made from aluminum, which is slippery, so pizza's don't stick (the way it would on stainless steel), and slide easily into the oven. The placing peel has a rectangularly steel tube handle, so it doesn't rotate in your hand.

The round turning peel is 7"-8" and has a hand glide that makes turning pizzas easy. The premium model is stainless, which will hold up better because that peel is inside the oven longer. The round peel lets you rotate the pizzas using a wrist motion. Every wood-fired pizzeria has a small round peel -- you just can't do without it.

These peels are two completely different beasts -- an apple and an orange.

If you try to find one peel that can do both jobs -- placing and turning, you will end up with something that does both jobs poorly.

I will do a short video on picking up, placing and turning pizzas -- that should help.

Make sense?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by james; 05-20-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Master Builder

I'd like to see how a pro does it!!!!

My technique could use improvement....

thanks

Old 05-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I will do a short video on picking up, placing and turning pizzas -- that should help.
That would be a great help James!

Thanks

Updated!