Old 09-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Pizza Oven on a Trailer

You will find that there are companies that make the ends of the propane tanks prior to them being welded to the main body and then heat treated.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Apprentice

FigliodiMariaeGiovanni
I have an oven very similar to what you posted in the thumbnail picture. Joseph from "The Fire Within" who can be found on this forum is who I got mine through. I absolutly love it and it really is a head turner when you have it out at an event.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Laborer

Thanks Tel!
Will check it out.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Peasant

Smile Re: Pizza Oven on a Trailer

Hi all,
I haven't been around for a while since I did my cast oven last year, which is in working nicely. Being an engineer this thread wets my appetite for alternative construction techniques.

Having looked at Wiley's thread, I had an idea. Nest the 48" dome (or whatever the next size propane tank is) over the 40" dome and fill it with sand. Viola, the worlds cheapest refractory material. Insulation would just go right over the outer dome. You might have to go to a larger OD to have equivalent thermal mass from the sand but 4" might do it.

For a transportable oven there are no masonry joints to shake apart. If you built it right, you could even "drain" the sand for transport and minimize weight.

Enz
Old 10-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Peasant

Is there anything with more thermal mass than sand to fill the domespace with?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Master Builder

The Pivot Stove Company uses this idea. When I started my WFO they had a unit listed on their website:
Pivot Stove & Heating Company

Their unit was exactly what you are suggesting: two shells, one inside the other and the interstitial space filled with sand. They didn't, however have any insulation over the outside shell!

If one were to go this route I would suggest finding a local foundry and do them a favor by taking their spent casting sand. It is only good for so many trips thru the cope and drag and then it needs cleaning and refortifying with new binder. This is usually not worth the effort or expense and they dump the sand buying new. The sand is quality refractory sand and is one gets lucky one could even find olivine sand (green sand) which is very heat resistant and would be an ideal choice.

Wiley
Old 11-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I added two more wheels to the carriage of my mobile oven, because there was too much weight on each of the four wheels and the floor of the ute trailer had dented slightly. I did not realise that it has the added benefit of now being able to have the two front wheels airborn so they can easily bridge a small gap between the trailer and its stand. Also note the chains and turnbuckles to secure the oven in position. It all works rather well.
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza Oven on a Trailer-pb110126.jpg  
Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Master Builder

David, I see where the turnbuckles hold the oven base in position. But, what holds the oven to the base? Most of the advice/plans call for no mortar between the bottom row of bricks and the hearth so that the oven can expand and contract with heating & cooling. Not that mortar would be strong enough to secure the load in the event of an emergency stop, but what keeps the oven on the hearth for on a bumpy road, pothole or dip in the pavement?
I'm not trying to be critical, for what you are doing is obviously working, I'm curious what you did in way of connecting the oven to the base to make it so it works.
Wiley
Old 11-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My inner dome was cast in one piece with a castable refractory and sits on the floor which was also cast in one piece, via a layer of sand and fire clay mix. The outer shell holds the whole lot in place and adheres to its aerated concrete base which I ground into with a grinder to give it more adhesion. This outershell is very strong with plenty of mesh (like a ferrocement boat) Lastly a layer of flexible acrylic also adheres this shell to the base. There are no cracks, except a small one on the floor, which is not a problem. Hope you understand my reply. I can roll the oven on and off by myself, using the jockey wheel to adjust the level. I made it as light as I could. It weighs 160 Kgs and I can cook pizzas for up to 30 people ok.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes you are probably right, I should have some straps that go over the top for safety, but I like to live dangerously, so I haven't bothered.