Old 03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pizza oven Tool Sets

XJ and All,

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, so let's just call it an adjunct. I've been coveting several pieces of kitchen gear for quite a while, and to banish cabin fever, I sprung for them today.

All were gotten from Lee Valley Tools Cooking Tools - Lee Valley Tools - Woodworking Tools, Gardening Tools, Hardware Supplies . On the left is an Italian made tomato press that is really good at separating the flesh from the skins and seeds. I was going to buy a Mouli, but this thing is purpose designed. It will also handle other soft fruits. James might be interested in checking out the manufacturer at: RIGAMONTI PIETRO & FIGLI S.R.L..

The long, thin shiny thing in the foreground is a stainless steel rasp with a separate tray that it fits into. Started out life as a wood rasp, but then the kitchen gear freaks got hold of it. This is absolutely the best for grating hard cheeses, garlic, nuts, lemon zesting, etc. Very, very thin shavings, very sharp teeth, quick to use.

On the right is a French mandoline by Bron. Now I can actually slice potatoes thin enough for my worldfamous potato pizza. It also comes with four different width julienne blades, 2, 4, 7, & 10 mm. Skinny fries tonight. This particular one is more or less the French standard. Very well made, but not cheap.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza oven Tool Sets-kitchen-gear-002.jpg  

Last edited by CanuckJim; 03-10-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: More info
Old 03-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabia Jim View Post
There's another speciality request James, long tongs!
Hey Jim, great idea. I'll start looking.

On the accessory theme, I bought a trial clip-on light today and will report more on that later.

On the brush question, I think the copper/brass bristle in a wood head on a metal handle is the best way to go. I just cracked open a 5 piece set of the commercial tools for our oven here -- though they aren't getting near the oven until everything is clean.

My thinking is that if budget is not a huge issue, the rake and shovel are really nice. They make it easy to move things around and clean your oven. If the cost matters, then I think the three main pieces -- placing peel, turning peel and a brush will definitely do the trick.

This also asks the question -- where are you making your pizzas and how are you getting them from the work surface into the oven.

Small wood peel for prep, the a slide onto the placing peel to put the pizza in the oven (and not burn your hand)?

Or, are you making your pizzas on a solid surface and sliding the peel under it on the counter?

Or, do you like using a long handled wood peel for making and placing?

I feel a poll coming on!
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

long handled wood peel for both making and placing, I had a couple of transfer disasters making on contertops (granite, in my kitchen) and transfering to the large metal peel. Making the pizzas outside next to the oven just doesn't work for me - to many bugs flying and crawling around most of the year and it is just too damn hot and humid from June thru Oct. Make'em in the kitchen , walk'em 40 ft to the oven...all is good.

RT
Old 03-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Laborer

I like to make the pizza on wood, then turn & pull it with metal. In fact, I just made the larger one in the photo Saturday & used it for the first time last night. It's a little bigger than one I had been using.

James, I saw in another thread you asked about bread peels. I'm not sure what real bakers use but I made several of these narrow ones a few years ago & they work pretty well for a long, baguette type loaf. I tend to load it off the side & they stay fairly straight.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Lilsun is the big maker of specialty peels for bread bakers. I'm not sure they sell retail. We sell a number of their mainstream peel sizes and can get others if folks are interested.

They make all shapes and sizes.

Jim, do you make your own, or use Lilsun?

James

Old 03-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

James,

I made my own wooden peels for bread. The problem with our ovens is the width of the mouth compared to the length needed. You could always buy peel blades from a supplier like this, Empire Bakery Equipment: Spiral Mixers, Deck Ovens and Bakery Production Equipment from America's Leading Bakery Equipment Supplier , that are long enough but too wide. All you'd have to do is cut them down with a bandsaw, both sides, to get the correct width. They sell handles, too, but you could always make your own. Good thing about buying the blades is that they are already tapered, both sides. Without a power planer, this can be time consuming to do. Well, even with one.

Jim
Old 03-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I believe that from what has been mentioned, I will go with the following:
1 pair of Long leather pizza gloves
1 Detachable wood peel w/ 48" handle
1 5 piece residential oven set

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 03-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use and love every one of my 5 piece residential oven set. I just think that if the brush bristles were mounted in metal v. wood, the brush would last for years. When the fire's blazing and I need to spend some time with my brush cleaning up the floor of the oven, I'm going to be watching more closely to make sure that its not smoldering or on fire.

-
Old 03-15-2008, 04:40 AM
Laborer

This is a bit off subject: but a comment on Jim's tomato press. My dad used one for years. it was an indispensible tool when harvesting tomatoes from a 100 by 50 foot home garden. And he always ran the skins thru a second time. Amazing how much juice was still in them. Then instead of cooking down the juice to remove water he poured it into 1/2 gallon wax milk containers; sealed then and in the freezer they went. When the juice freezes the water seperates and rises to the top. Open the container: chip off the water with an ice pick and low and behold; puree for sauce.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thats a cool trick, I'll have to remember that!