Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   Oven door is gone! (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/oven-door-gone-14248.html)

DOC Opa 09-05-2010 09:55 AM

Oven door is gone!

I stack bricks in the oven opening and then I place a three plywood thick door over the opening. It has worked very for well except this morning, all that is left is ashes and the bricks. Any thoughts on a insulating door design.

fxpose 09-05-2010 10:13 AM

Re: Oven door is gone!

5 Attachment(s)
R.I.P. Doc Opa's oven door...

I built an aluminum box with 2" of insulating blanket in it and a long stem thermometer stuck through it. Simple, light, and insulates well.

Les 09-05-2010 10:39 AM

Where did it go?

Alter ego 09-05-2010 02:41 PM

Yep. Been there, done that!

I got up the next morning and looked out and noticed the door missing. I was thinking "I'm sure that I put that door on last night" It wasn't until I noticed the pile of ashes that I figured out what had happened.

I'm still on my 2nd temporary door which is just a bit of 12mm plywood fixed onto an aerated concrete block. One day I'll get around to making a permanent door.

BackyardPermaculture 09-05-2010 07:17 PM

I caught mine just in time - was about to load the oven up with bread when I saw smoke pouring off the door. It's a little charred but still quite solid.

Erniegarcia76 09-06-2010 12:24 PM

I thought man, that smells like burning cedar...and yep, it was my door!

Only charred the inside, but would have lost it completely if I was away a few more minutes. Working on a permanent insulated door soon...if I ever get to it...

leckig 09-07-2010 04:30 PM

fxpose - what thickness Alu that is? Did you notice any heat damage on it?

fxpose 09-07-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leckig (Post 98812)
fxpose - what thickness Alu that is? Did you notice any heat damage on it?

No heat damage yet, but I expect it to eventually crack or tear. If it does, I can easily replace the inner alu face with 22 ga sheet metal.
The sheet aluminum came from a couple of large alu food serving trays which I had laying around. The alu was soft and pliable so it was very easy to cut and bend to shape.

leckig 09-07-2010 04:56 PM

so looks like you think 22 ga metal may work better? Did you put any frame inside that box? I need to make door this weekend, I really like your concept!

fxpose 09-07-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leckig (Post 98817)
so looks like you think 22 ga metal may work better? Did you put any frame inside that box? I need to make door this weekend, I really like your concept!

No, absolutely no framing. I originally thought about framing because the alu felt so flimsy but after I started bending and riveting the sections together it became very rigid.