Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Nuts & bolts: cheapo zinc, grade-8, stainless steel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
1) A grade 8 steel bolt is significantly stronger (roughly 1.2 -1.5 times) than a 304 stainless steel bolt of the same size. However, a 304 stainless bolt is very much adequate strength, and won't rust.
Oh, so the fairly common "yellow zinc" grade 8 bolts will actually rust?

Quote:
4) 304 stainless is the right choice for freshwater exposure - they don't call 316 stainless "marine grade" for nothing.
"Fresh water", as in rain, right? None of this has anything to do with submerged water, fresh or salt. It's an oven, bear in mind.

Quote:
5) The difference between zinc plated and "galvanised" is that zinc plated has a thin electrolytic coating of zinc, whereas galvanised has been dipped in molten zinc, giving much thicker coating of the sacrificial material. So they are the same, until the sacrificial coating dissolves away.
Well, I have no idea. The steel (not bolts, actual sheet, tube, etc.) at Lowes came in two forms, weldable (rust ahoy) and "plated". I have no idea what "plated" means to Lowes, presumably not true galvanization, but as to precisely what it is plated with, or by what method, I simply don't know.

Quote:
6) make sure your bands are the same as the flue, i.e. both zincalume (coated with a zinc aluminium alloy) or both galv (coated with pure zinc).
It's a completely typical stove pipe, so it's whatever the millions of stainless steel stove pipes in the world are made out of. As for the band, it definitely isn't the same stuff. The stove pipe is almost mirror-shiny, like a normal stove pipe, whereas the sheet and angle-iron steel I bought for bands (plated) is much duller, there's no way they're the same material, albeit both are clearly steel. However, if the prescription is to use "the same stuff", then I gotta say, that stuff simply wasn't at the store, I didn't see it. There weren't any steel bands, angles, square or round tube, or anything that looked like the material conventional stove pipes are made out of.

Quote:
7) If your flue is some sort of galvanised or zincalume steel, don't use aluminium brackets.
I haven't got the foggiest idea, although I can steer clear of aluminum as a general principle (I was still considering aluminum tubes for the support arms, but I can ditch that idea if it isn't popular).

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 07-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Keith, now that we have all thoroughly muddied the water for you. Go back to the
1st reply from Ts.
Use the stainless, 304 will be fine, and use 5/16" or 3/8" diameter for piece of mind regarding strength. He is a pretty knowledgeable guy and "knows his s%#t"...and I totally agree. Not that I am an expert, I just know enough to overbuild everything. From a practical experience standpoint - over 10 years working for a fastener manufacturer and currently for a maufacturer of 100% 304 and 316 equipment that must withstand continuous hydraulic pressure and the associated velocities of processing 1MGD up to 100MGD of water (that being million gallons per day). every bolt is either 304 or 316 and 1/4" or 5/16" depending on the hydraulic calcs.
You live in a wet part of the country, the yellow zinc may look pretty buts its going to rust within a couple of years, that coating is no more than .002" - .003", less than a good coat of paint.

RT
Old 07-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, I've found a bunch of places online to get 304 stainless which bring the price to a very reasonable range...ahem, unlike the box stores.

Thanks again.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 07-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
It would be a good idea to apply some to your nuts
Does it sting?
david s and Gulf like this.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Does it sting?
Probably tighten them up.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:00 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Probably tighten them up.
Pretty much self tightening in this cold weather