Old 10-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New blast door.

With 1" of CF the outer wouldnt even get warm, I made a gas forge out of an old SSteel beer keg and used 1" CF, you could "almost" put your hand on the keg outer when the inside is 1200c.

Maybe the CF is damp and transferring the heat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
With 1" of CF the outer wouldnt even get warm, I made a gas forge out of an old SSteel beer keg and used 1" CF, you could "almost" put your hand on the keg outer when the inside is 1200c.

Maybe the CF is damp and transferring the heat?
could be possble, was fairly dry when i was using it.. and after a week of fires should definately have evaporated by now.. but ill test my theory of no blast door with a huge fire and see how i go.

Appreciate the help.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Isnt it just a restriction like a venturi? Reduces flow but increase velocity or something like that?
My guess is that a blast door operates much like the dampers on either end of a wood smoker, restricting air in by the firebox, and limiting smoke out at the top of the smoke stack. This allows the user to 'tune' the smoker, more to control temperature, but in the process, control the rate of the burn and thus fuel usage.

I would think that with several well-placed (adjustable) vents, a blast door could accomplish the same thing, and since firebrick will absorb heat only so fast, maybe a controlled oven burn would be a more efficient and gentler method of firing the oven.

Based on you guys' experience in adjusting your doors to get maximum venturi effect, is there an optimum vent size that you would recommend? It appears that maybe an adjustable vertical slot (like Al's) could work as well. And yes, I know it wouldn't take me long to learn how to stare at a fired tuned by a blast door!
John
Old 10-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Apprentice

Vent size is really dependent on entry size and done size. Easiest way to determine the best size is make a decent fire. Then grab some mdf or any flat wood and cover half the door. Give it ten seconds and keep lowering an inch or so till it looks like the air flow is blowing out the fire rather than accelerating. Similar to starting a fire with only coal left, you need to blow quite hard... But not so hard you blow the fire
Out
Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This sounds like fun. Optimal Blast door design for cool looking fire.

Design criteria

1) Door must be at least partially made of glass or have significant viewing area (so you can see the fire). Otherwise what is the point.

2) Vent(s) must be able to be moved to various locations so as to optimize venting based on fire criteria.
a) fire size
b) fire location in oven
c) retained heat of oven (new or old fire)
d) size of oven
e) size of inner arch

3) Positions must be able to be recorded or marked so repeatable chugging/huffing or blast furnace flames can be achieved.

4) Camera must be able to be used with the door to record the event(s).

Any other design criteria is welcome.

Chip