Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Need advice on what is the best method when installing the insulation blanket ple

I have never posted a photo here so I hope it works. It's just a couple of quick photo I took of the WFO so far. As you will see from both photo's I used foam as a guide for my fire brick dome and it worked perfectly.
The second shot shows a top view of the top of the dome just before I complete the dome, you can see how the foam was used as a guide.
There was a fair amount of cutting fire bricks involved and we also used fire bricks that were tapered so this really made the fire bricks sit really tight with very little Refractory mortar needed to join the bricks together from the inside only a millimeter or two im guessing.

P.s. I purchased a brand new cheap 16 inch blade Wet Brick Saw (WELLQUIP) from eBay which cost me $800 delivered to my door and it worked a charm and saved us a ton of time. It's not worth renting a brick saw for the price they charge here in Australia especially if you want to take your time building the WFO like we are.
I would recommend anyone wanting to purchase a brick saw to get a cheap one from eBay if it's only going to be used for just the odd job although I don't see why it wouldn't work for big time jobs as it cut through these Fire Bricks like a hot knife would through butter and I used the crap dry blade that came with it, although I used the brick saw always with water as it keeps the dry blade cool and makes it last longer, it also saves all that brick dust going everywhere while using the water when cutting. I would be very surprised if this blade that came with the saw costs more then $30 so I could only imagine how it would cut with a proper diamond blade.

After I have totally completed the WFO I think I will sell the brick saw, so if anyone is interested in purchasing a Wet Brick Saw from Melbourne Australia just email me and when im ready to sell it and if some one wants to buy it then I can even give them a demo of how easy it cuts through these Fire bricks or any brick/concrete I would imagine. Although it could be a while before this wood oven is completed as we are taking our time. The front arch and flu is the next part. More photo's posted shortly.

Regards
Dean
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on what is the best method when installing the insulation blanket please?-img_0873_1_1_1.jpg   Need advice on what is the best method when installing the insulation blanket please?-img_0872_1_1.jpg  

Last edited by Wheels1974; 01-28-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Need advice on what is the best method when installing the insulation blanket ple

Wheels - I do not profess to being a mason, but this is a bad practice. If the mortar joint gets compromised (heat expansion) there is nothing to keep these in place. You want a consistent taper pointed down. If the bond does break, the worse thing that can happen is the brick will slide down a bit. I would hate to see you go through all this work and have bad things happen.

Les...
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on what is the best method when installing the insulation blanket please?-bricks.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Wheels - I do not profess to being a mason, but this is a bad practice. If the mortar joint gets compromised (heat expansion) there is nothing to keep these in place. You want a consistent taper pointed down. If the bond does break, the worse thing that can happen is the brick will slide down a bit. I would hate to see you go through all this work and have bad things happen.

Les...
Les,
I understand what your saying mate but what your seeing is two texter marker lines as a guide for the flu. All tapered points are facing down, meaning wider up top and taper in towords the bottom. I will remove the marker lines later , but if you have a closer look you will see that the tapered end is down on ALL arch bricks.

Regards
Dean
Old 01-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very cool! My bad.... After you pointed it out, I can see the cuts. Good luck with the rest of the build!

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.