Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: My turn for Stucco questions.

I did my scratch coat of stucco today using 3 parts sand, 2 portland cement and 1 masonry cement as described in Black & Decker book on masonry (thanks george). I was going to use their recipe for the finish coat, but if I can buy it at HD I'll go that way (Dave how many bags did you use?)

Before I even got done it started to crack, are we suppose to keep it moist? A sticky (or better yet a chapter in the e-book) would be extremely helpful.

How long before the next coat?

"It's time to go Vertical"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLake View Post
I did my scratch coat of stucco today using 3 parts sand, 2 portland cement and 1 masonry cement as described in Black & Decker book on masonry (thanks george). I was going to use their recipe for the finish coat, but if I can buy it at HD I'll go that way (Dave how many bags did you use?)

Before I even got done it started to crack, are we suppose to keep it moist? A sticky (or better yet a chapter in the e-book) would be extremely helpful.

How long before the next coat?
I got a few cracks too... but Yeah keep it moist, and really wet down the dome before applying.

I bought two 80lb bags. It said finishing coat stucco.
I added a half gallon of acrylic (generic version in a one gallon bottle = 10 bucks) The Quickrete stuff would of been 25 bucks a gallon.
Then I added half a bottle of coloring.

The instructions are all on the back of the bag.

24 hours before the next coat. (me thinks)

Post some pics RC!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 06-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
I got a few cracks too... but Yeah keep it moist, and really wet down the dome before applying.

24 hours before the next coat. (me thinks)

Post some pics RC!
I put 4" of ceramic blanket down and then chicken wire. I'm thinking the movement of the wire where I was applying the coat moved prior areas.

Our local HD doesn't have the finishing stucco, but we're dropping off some furniture to the kids in Dallas tomorrow so I'll see if I can find it there.

"It's time to go Vertical"

Old 06-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is what I used RC.

The acrylic wasn't the brand I used, like I posted earlier there is a generic version for 10 bucks a gallon.
Attached Thumbnails
My turn for Stucco questions.-stucco-quikrete.jpg   My turn for Stucco questions.-acrylic.jpg   My turn for Stucco questions.-buff.jpg  

My costs:

My pics:

Old 06-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post

Btw Jed... if you can find a way of keeping the water out... I think it looks really cool with those cracks! Instant antique oven.
Yes, Yes Frances,

I am beginning to really love my cracks. Every one needs to become 'one' with their cracks, as they are part of the finished project!

'Instant antique' - the appropriate oxymoron. Some folks work hard to meet that objective, I should be content to have arrived there with out the extra effort... or time.

JED
Old 06-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Peasant

I'm not a stucco expert (but I play one on TV)..but I've some experience as I bought a Stucco house (in Wisconsin no less! Go Figure.)

I quickly found out Stucco is not a low maintenance siding. Cracks appear, moisture seeps in and plays havoc with the stucco. It'll rust the lathe underneath the stucco, or, in colder climates, will freeze and "pop" bits of stucco off. So you got deal with cracks as they appear, otherwise it'll just get worse.

Since the original formula for the stucco covering my house is long gone, and I haven't found pre-mixed stucco in bags, and I'm too lazy to be bothered with special ordering some, I've had great luck with quikrete's surface bonding cement. It's billed as waterproof and adheres nicely to flat surfaces without lathe. They even show how to use it to build a BBQ by dry stacking cement blocks and then covering it with this product.
QUIKRETE® - QUIKWALL® Surface Bonding Cement

If any additional finish is desired over the stucco, the best is Elastomeric Masonry, Stucco & Brick Paint. From the Behr paint web site:

"An exterior, flexible high-build coating designed to expand and contract, bridging hairline cracks in vertical masonry surfaces. This extremely durable, mildew and dirt resistant waterproofing paint has superior elasticity and elongation properties, stretching up to 600%. It passes Federal Specification TT-C-555b sec. 3.3.3, withstanding 98 mph wind-driven rain. The 100% acrylic latex formula provides a breathable film, releasing moisture that builds in walls. This low-sheen paint has excellent color retention and is available in 63 custom tinted colors. "

It's great stuff and available at Home Depot. You have to brush it on or use a roller with at least a 1 inch nap...it's thick!

That's about all I know about stucco...it's kept my house relatively protected for past 11 years...
Attached Thumbnails
My turn for Stucco questions.-prod_1230.gif   My turn for Stucco questions.-06801_197382.jpg  
Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Master Builder

HTML Code:
What the bloody stuff is called in various different parts of the world!
I'd like to know that too!
And I think a sticky on the subject is an excellent idea.

I cannot find 'stucco' anywhere but there is something here called parging mix - billed as "ideal for parging concrete blocks or poured concrete", "for use in above or below grade applications" and having "excellent bond strength and workability". I've been wondering if it's essentially the same thing .

It's a mixture of sand and Portland cement, along with "agents designed to enhance bond & workability". It's meant to be applied in a 1/8- to 3/8-inch thickness, directly to the concrete blocks in one coat.

This is what I plan to use but I've been wondering if I should throw in some lime. I'll likely want to paint it so I was happy to see the post about the Behr concete paint - hope the Canadian Home Depot carries it!

BTW, as I was researching stucco, I ended up reading about a finish called Tadelakt - here's a short version of the Wikipedia blurb:

"Tadelakt is a bright, nearly waterproof lime plaster which can be used on the inside of buildings and on the outside. It is the traditional coating of the palaces, hammams and bathrooms of the riads in Morocco. Its traditional application includes being polished with a river stone and treated with a soft soap to acquire its final appearance and water resistance. Tadelakt has a luxurious, soft aspect with undulations due to the work of the artisans who finish it; in certain installations, it is suitable for making bathtubs, showers, and washbasins and confers great decorative capacities. Traditionally, tadelakt is produced with the lime of the area of Marrakech."

Sounds like something that could add an interesting effect to a WFO ...
Attached Thumbnails
My turn for Stucco questions.-pargingmix.jpg  
Old 06-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did more stucco work last night.
Previously, I was going for a rough texture... spanish drag style.
But last night I wanted to see what the other half would look like with the stucco really smooth.

So I finished it with a trowel the same way concrete is finished. (With a finishing trowel, used at an angle)
I like the look better, and no cracking. I think it might be important to finish the stucco just like concrete.

Just a thought.

DAve

My costs:

My pics:

Old 06-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Apprentice

Here's one Stucco guide with synonyms if you can believe that: http://www.parex.com/pdf/stuccoma.pdf

Dave you'll have to wait for the layer to fully cure before you'll see the final color. This is true with all colored cements, even pre-blended with oxide pigments.

I have a few other links at home as I have also been researching stucco. If this guide doesn't cut it (sorry I didn't get a chance to read it all) I'll post them along with the ASTM specifications...probably do at least that one regardless.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoe View Post
Here's one Stucco guide with synonyms if you can believe that: http://www.parex.com/pdf/stuccoma.pdf

Dave you'll have to wait for the layer to fully cure before you'll see the final color. This is true with all colored cements, even pre-blended with oxide pigments.

I have a few other links at home as I have also been researching stucco. If this guide doesn't cut it (sorry I didn't get a chance to read it all) I'll post them along with the ASTM specifications...probably do at least that one regardless.
Thanks.

I'll give it a read this evening!

My costs:

My pics: