Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Yes - what @papavino said.

In reading others comments it seemed like the clamp was not a necessity. I'm hoping that the brick/mortar below will hold it vertically while the tool is mostly for keeping it from sliding off the brick below it and into the oven.

I'll let you know how it works out in a few months ... ;-) (I've been prepping in the garage and hope to get going outside once our Seattle rains die down and ski season is over).
Old 11-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gosh, we're all in Seattle! I'm building, rain or no rain. I have a fairly large tarp suspended over my work area so when it isn't windy (and that isn't always) I can work in a light drizzle.

I know what you mean about ski season. I'll miss virtually all of Thanksgiving weekend snowboarding. The only oven work I'll do is Thursday morning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 11-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Apprentice

Off topic, but regards to the skiing weather out here: Isn't it supposed to warm up tomorrow? I guess we're all used to hitting the slopes in the rain, but still a little of a disappointment after so much good snow. I guess we should be thankful to have the slopes open at all...
Old 11-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by papavino View Post
Off topic, but regards to the skiing weather out here: Isn't it supposed to warm up tomorrow? I guess we're all used to hitting the slopes in the rain, but still a little of a disappointment after so much good snow. I guess we should be thankful to have the slopes open at all...
I don't know. My T-weekend 'boarding will be at Whistler. I'm not sure if the weather up there is different than here.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 12-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Laborer

This may be too good to be true...after hours of searching, drawing up sketches and putting together a parts list would it be possible to be next in line for the "indispensable" kit floating around SD? I'm in Carlsbad and have gotten the base up and have actually switched my design from a barrel vault type to a dome type oven...many thanks and I think this site could be used for addiction therapy...although none addiction would be traded for another...
Old 03-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Journeyman

I have relocated to temporary housing in California and left my oven and all my tools behind for the time being. I also am not getting to my Private Messages on a routine basis so for those who have waited for a reply, my apologies. I will remake the offer to create tools for those who would like them once I am settled.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Peasant

I used a 'poor-mans' version of the universal tool. It consisted of two items:
- A wooden stick with a notch at one end. The distance from the deep
end of the notch to the other end was equal to the inside radius of my
oven (21 inches giving me a 42 inch inside diameter)
- An old 1/4 inch drill bit. I already had a masonry bit on hand that made
1/4 inch holes. I located the center of my hearch and drilled a hole about
1 1/2 inches deep. I stuck the drill bit in, leaving the rest of it sticking out.

I then seated the notch end of the wood stick around the drill bit. I used this as a gauge while setting each brick. Easy for the lower courses. I used Sairset for most of my hot-face bedding mortar - Sairset takes a good hard set in just a minute or so and brick did not slip. I didn't have to provide any support until by last 4 - 5 rings - and I just used whatever sticks were available.
I used part of a ripped bag of some refractory castable to cap the dome, using a plastic garbage can lid as a form inside (pressed up from below with a number of sticks).
Old 03-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

All brick-placement tools are "poor-man's" tools. It's not like you can pick one up at Lowe's with a name-brand stamped on it. Mine was wood too. The really cool ones on FB are welded. Would that I could...

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 03-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Master Builder

An even poorer 'poor-man's' version would be using just a length of string.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 03-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

True, the poorness of such a tool is a slippery rope. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

WFO Webpage:

Thread: