Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

So reading other posts, if you start with cutting a brick in half. Then you could make compound cuts to make the angle and the bevel (using the same bevel method). That is still only 5 cuts, Right?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Apprentice

Right, if you cut the brick in half and then do compound cuts you get 5 cuts.

Here's a quick pic what I meant with getting it done in 3 cuts.
Attached Thumbnails
My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)-brick_cut.jpg  
SpottedFrog likes this.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Journeyman

Yeah, Unfortunately I couldn't get anything to work that didn't hit the guides or the arbor on the HBFtools saw.

Jim
Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Laborer

In your link to an earlier post you have a chart you extracted from a cad tool.

I did the math. I have a spreadsheet, but need to clean it up and document it enough to be useful. Hopefully this spring.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Peasant

Hi group,

i am looking for the indispendable tool the one that got a thin plate (shinny one) center on the hearth floor and that has black foam or rubber on the rod.,
I think it's made of stainlees steel. Can't find it, can anyone provide me a link to it??

Marc
Old 01-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Journeyman

Not sure if you're asking for a link to thread about how to make it, or a link on where to buy such a tool. There is no place that manufactures these, they are all self made. As for a link to how it's made, I think this thread is the best spot to search.
The other is a sticky in this same forum area.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...idea-2573.html (Hendo's dome gauge -- nice idea)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Peasant

Tman,

i want to make it. i have seen one on this forum that i think is made of stainless steel, the rod has a sort of a pipe insulator (black foam) protecting the threads i dont see other reason why. it also got a steel plate with a bushing as the center that the tool rotates on. i am looking for this perticular one because the radius is very close to the hearth level.

thanks again

marc
Old 01-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Journeyman

I don't think it'll really matter how close the pivot point is to the hearth. Unless you're an engineer, then it would matter.

With the pivot point slightly higher (or even 3", IMO), it puts the dome midway point up a little, but I can't think it'd hardly be enough to make much visual difference, or functional for that matter. (when you take such a small section of an arc, it's hard to actually see the arc unless very small.) So, if it's raised up 2", and you're dealing with a 36" dome, that's a radius of 18".... if you look at a 4" section of that (18") arc, I bet you'd barely be able to tell it's bent much. Anyways, I might be babbling and incoherent, and wrong for that matter, or totally way off base and you have an incredibly valid reason for wanting that particular version, these are my thoughts. Maybe someone else will chime in. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:09 AM
Peasant

Tman,

it does make a difference.
if the radius is 21" and the radius point is 3" above the hearth then you would have 3" to adjust from horizontal to vertical. i know the tool is adjustable, but why not be closer to the hearth as possible to start with.

so can anyone direct me to a link for this version of the indispendable tool.
it is made of stainless steel(not important), the pivot point is low and at this point the tool rotates on a bushing on a s.s. plate

or all the different version of the tool posted into one area in the indispendable tool thread just a thought.

can anyone help me on this

thank you

marc
Old 01-21-2011, 05:11 AM
Peasant

no disrespect to all the tool makers

marc