Old 04-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: My dog ate the Infrared

We rescued two labs...brother and sister...after Christmas a few years ago...only had them for 2 months before we drove from here to Arizona to adopt them to friends who have a ranch out there...before they went to their new home they ate a door, chewed on our central air conditioner, aluminum siding, and who know what else...that is why we have Ridgebacks...for the most part they turn two and just completely mellow out...except for squirrels and the neighbors annoying little dog...
Best
Dutch
Old 04-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wonderful dogs though. Labs have the disposition of a year-old baby (normally). Kids can pull at their ears and poke them in the eyes - no problem! They just love the attention.

-
Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

James, only kidding...Your probably like most of us dog lovers. let them get away with everything short of murder. I didn't say a word when our old dog (a Samoyed) ate the siding.....knew it was my fault - working constantly (no attention, no exercise, no discipline), just gave hime free run of the back yard when I was "too busy" for him. His destruction stopped when he was regularly exercised and we spent time with him
Puppies on the other hand are like small children...they don't know its wrong until they've done it and have been reprimanded.
I do like the idea of blaming the dog to get new electronic gadgets...I never used the "dog ate my homework" excuse, so I may use it on my wife the next time I "need" a new toy.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My neighbor has a Ridgeback...think he is 4 or 5.....HUGE, at least 130 lbs. Looks intimidating, sound scarier than a lion's roar and is the most chilled out, giant baby I have ever seen...nothing fazes that dog.

RT
Old 04-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Journeyman

I have two and a half city sized black labs. Actually they are black and tan miniature doxies. Full of personality and very people oriented. When you try to ignore them they climb up in your lap and demand attention. On the other hand, they are always excited to see me, even when I come home after working swings a o-dark hundred. That's more than I can say for my kids sometimes.
We did go to dog school with them and learned that most of the dogs problems were ours. Since our dogs are very stubborn our trainer gave us some of the best advice I have ever heard.

A tired dog is a good dog
An exhausted dog is a great dog.

Bruce
Old 04-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

An exhausted dog makes for an exhaused master. Two hours in a cornfield is perfect for most dogs.

-
Old 04-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

James, have you a cornfield beyond your wall?..... George's idea sounds good to me.

RT
Old 04-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

PB would be a good place as well. You could run them on the beach for hours. They love the hell out of that! Then, just before you leave, signal them to run up on the golf course and have them grab Clint Eastwood's golf ball off the 18th green just before his best round ever.

-