Old 08-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mortaring

So it is a Tandor oven that you wish to built with brick?

If it was me, I would use splits and rip them into pieces like 2"x2"...the Tandor (Tonir) is going to have a much,much tighter radius than the dome or barrel vault. The smaller shapes will help you maintain a neat radius.

The 2"x2" is just a guess, but the smaller the Tandor ( or oven for that matter ) the harder it is to keep a nice radius with larger units.

You can use bagged play sand or mason sand...you are only using a thin layer above the insulation remember.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Also, if your oven is to placed underground, you now have to contend with moisture problems in your insulation.

Make sure you use a water proof membrane or heavy plastic between your insulation and the surrounding ground.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am not sure that you can use firebrick for a tandoor/tonir. They are normally made of terra cotta which has different thermal properties.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Serf

Some history of tonir:
Tandoor is Indian version of tonir. The first Tonir type underground ovens were discovered in Armenia that dates back to 3000BC. The oldest winery and shoe was also discovered in Armenia. Scientists discover 'oldest' winery in Armenian cave - CNN.com

Armenian traditional tonirs by size and shape are very close to the size I already mentioned (24" diameter, 35"-47" height or taller and the shape is of a wine barrel). Originally it is a large fireproof pot that is insulated and buried underground. Since it's very difficult to find a quality pot, some masters build it from firebrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
So it is a Tandor oven that you wish to built with brick?
Yes, that is correct (tonir oven)
If it was me, I would use splits and rip them into pieces like 2"x2"...the Tandor (Tonir) is going to have a much,much tighter radius than the dome or barrel vault. The smaller shapes will help you maintain a neat radius.

The 2"x2" is just a guess, but the smaller the Tandor ( or oven for that matter ) the harder it is to keep a nice radius with larger units.
I was thinking about 2x2 too. Do you think medium duty firebrick (9x4.5x2.5) is good choice for this project? do you think cutting the bricks with brishblaster (chisel) is a good idea?

You can use bagged play sand or mason sand...you are only using a thin layer above the insulation remember.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Serf

I am going to compact the soil and lay the heavy plastic then gravel, sand and on top of that concrete foundation (base), I will do the same with the sounding walls. And build my tonir in that box and fill the sides (in-between tonir and the box) with some type of ceramic fiber insulation.
What do you think, is it a legit plan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Also, if your oven is to placed underground, you now have to contend with moisture problems in your insulation.

Make sure you use a water proof membrane or heavy plastic between your insulation and the surrounding ground.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneer View Post
I am going to compact the soil and lay the heavy plastic then gravel, sand and on top of that concrete foundation (base), I will do the same with the sounding walls. And build my tonir in that box and fill the sides (in-between tonir and the box) with some type of ceramic fiber insulation.
What do you think, is it a legit plan?
Sounds like a very good schedule.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin