Old 02-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: metal peel gauge/thickness

This is all great. Very informative. I wonder where I can get sheets of aluminum or stainless steel in the thicknesses described in this thread. Will HD and Lowes have it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 02-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My local restaurant supply has peels in wood and aluminum, 12" to 18" wide, 18" long to 60" long for 15-50 bucks. At some point I ask myself, "is it really worth the time to make something I can buy?" This I will buy.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
My local restaurant supply has peels in wood and aluminum, 12" to 18" wide, 18" long to 60" long for 15-50 bucks. At some point I ask myself, "is it really worth the time to make something I can buy?" This I will buy.
I have to agree with that statement....

Half an hour of labour at a basic rate would be $30, add petrol getting bits and pieces and the cost of the materials and you will probably SAVE money by buying one!

That is, unless of course you build a silver inlaid masterpiece to be handed down to the next generation of pizzaiolo at your house as a family heirloom .. in which case making one is a good option!!

Rossco
Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm still pricing things. I thought this stuff seemed pretty expensive but I'll keep looking around.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebwi View Post
I'm still pricing things. I thought this stuff seemed pretty expensive but I'll keep looking around.
Actually I think until recently peels and other WFO accessories were quite expensive. When I had my oven installed over 7 years ago I was probably one only a very few number of people in town that had one and the accessories were hand-made by the local blacksmiths society.

Now that WFO cooking has sort of become mainstream - and not just the exclusive domain of the bizarre and eccentric, aside from restaurants, things are somewhat different. Accesories are really cheap and mass produced now so very freely available. So, I do see where you are coming from on this one and there probably was a time when it made sense to make your own...

Will be good to see the sums on making/buying though.

Rossco
Old 02-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Try places that specialize in doing stainless steel sheet metal work, like custom kitchen stuff. Just put back up my shade cover over the pool after removing it a week ago after ex tropical cyclone Olga dumped around 400mm of rain on us. The pool temp was 34 C (95 F) It's like jumping into a bowl of soup. Not very pleasant.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Laborer

If you google 'cake lifter' you can find very inexpensive sheet stainless which can be converted into a peel- potentially with very little cutting.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

With regard to the most useful shape...do any of you prefer peels with a slight angle between the handle and the sheet, like a normal spatula...so you don't have to scrape the handle horizontally along the floor to slide under the pizza? It doesn't look like peels are ever shaped this way. I can see how it would be unnecessary or even unwieldy with the large "placement" or "retrieval" peels, but I'm surprised that the small circular "manipulating" peels don't have such a bend in them.

Should I not design such a bend into my own peel. Obviously, have no experience to draw on yet!

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 02-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Consider the length VS the angle. Say you want a 10% angle when you hit the pizza, if the peel is not flat to the handle, is your opening tall enough to allow a pre-bent peel?

Looking at the way you cut your sheet, I predict it will break very soon exactly where the round section meets the handle, even sooner if you add a bend.

The better way to cut it on the handle side would be triangular then rolled around the handle.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You misunderstand my design. The neck is going to be two sheets thick extending slightly into the disk, so it will be solidly reinforced. I am even considering making it three sheets thick. Haven't decided yet. In the two sheet approach the neck goes down one side of the handle and the second strip goes down the other and joins it. In the three sheet design, the neck goes down a slit in the middle of the handle and two strips join it from each side. So, I'm not worried about the neck being too weak.

I realize that an angle would be very shallow, but I was just asking if such an angle is useful.

WFO Webpage:

Thread: