Old 11-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Make My Own Rake

Hey RT (or anyone):
What is the "PLASTIC SLIDE" that is on the tuning peel? I am in desperate need of bigger, longer handled oven tools and will order stuff from the FB Store and not sure what to get. Thanks

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Journeyman

The plastic slide is a part of the handle that you can hold in one hand while you hold the back of the handle in the other. It slides up and down and twists around the aluminum handle. If the aluminum gets hot, the plastic slide doesn't. I haven't noticed that I need it. But I really like the smaller peel for turning pizza. You can't turn them easily (at all) with the big peel. I bought the standard kit. If anything, i would like the square peel to be a couple inches bigger. It limits the size of the pizza to about 12 inches.

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread:
Old 11-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for info Joe, the plastic sliding handle sounds good. I too like the small round turning peels for lots things, but again, my friends bought me a short handle version that burns my hands when I'm turning pizzas in the rear so I'm checking out the long handle versions of everything.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Laborer

I bought a 52" long 12"x14" metal peel w/a wooden handle for $15 and cut it down with a grinder to make an 8" round turning peel.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Journeyman

Part of my motivation in buying from Forno Bravo was to support Forno Bravo whenever I can, within reasonable financial constraints. I appreciate that sometimes it's not economically feasible (I did use Heat Stop after all because of the cost of Refmix delivered to me), but i always factor in my appreciation for James for hosting this site.

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread:
Old 11-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I bought the Forno Bravo kit of small round peel, large square peel and copper brush. These work well.

I rounded out my tool kit with an common garden hoe and a fishing gaff (for hooking pot handles).