Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   It's a sad day in Daveland (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/its-sad-day-daveland-3043.html)

asudavew 12-10-2007 06:40 AM

It's a sad day in Daveland

1 Attachment(s)
Oven failure.

A brick has fallen.

Sad, Sad, Sad

Not sure what to do.

Here is a picture of the brick that has fallen out of my inner arch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

Dave

Ken524 12-10-2007 07:33 AM

Re: It's a sad day in Daveland

Dave,

I feel your pain! I really, really do! This must be the month for fallen arches (sorry about the pun).

My first thought is to use some furnace cement or mortar, tap it back into place and brace it for a day.

But heck, don't take my advice, I have a screwed up arch too!! :p

Good luck friend.

asudavew 12-10-2007 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken524 (Post 20870)
Dave,

I feel your pain! I really, really do! This must be the month for fallen arches (sorry about the pun).

My first thought is to use some furnace cement or mortar, tap it back into place and brace it for a day.

But heck, don't take my advice, I have a screwed up arch too!! :p

Good luck friend.

Thanks Ken.

I was thinking of getting some heatstop to fix it.
Or maybe building an arch out of metal to support it.
Sort of a metal arch insert.

It still cooks hellugood but... I'm worried about what will happen to the rest of the arch and dome!

Ken524 12-10-2007 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asudavew (Post 20874)
It still cooks hellugood but... I'm worried about what will happen to the rest of the arch and dome!

Yeah, I think the brick definitely needs to be reattached somehow... Maybe our resident Dentist can help! :)

Frances 12-10-2007 09:20 AM

Oh Dave, I am so sorry to hear that!! How awful!

Attach it with heatstop AND then brace it with a metal arch - teach that %&*?%ç brick to stay where it belongs!!

...though maybe, doesn't this show that the rest of the dome is solidly built, if its holding up even with a whole brick missing? How does the rest look?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Good luck Dave!!

dusty 12-10-2007 02:14 PM

That does kinda suck, but shake it off big Dave. You'll get it back in there. And no harm done (assuming it did't land in that pizza). That would REALLY suck!

dusty

Dutchoven 12-10-2007 05:41 PM

Dave,
Firstly did it fall all the way out? Sounds like it was not pushing enough against the other bricks in the arch. Was the brick tapered at all? If not, is it a space that you might grind a slightly larger brick to fit like a keystone? You would then be able to fit the new "keystone" and using, a grout bag with your mortar mixture or a tube of furnace cement really squeeze the voids full.
Keep me posted on your thoughts!
Dutch

Archena 12-10-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asudavew (Post 20867)
Oven failure.

A brick has fallen.

Sad, Sad, Sad

Not sure what to do.

Here is a picture of the brick that has fallen out of my inner arch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

Dave

:( Awwww....

Sorry for your loss. It's hopeless - you'll have to demolish the entier oven and start over...

By the way, you should never take building advice from anyone who cannot spell 'entire'...

:D

Mojoe 12-11-2007 06:51 AM

Wow, that is truely a shame.

Looking at your "pizza night and Porchetta" pics it also appears you also may have another weak area. That coupled with the remaining arch being suspended by the mortar and cladding not compression, I think I would opt for the metal arch support you mentioned. Slide the brick back in place and perhaps cut a notch in each of the soldier bricks or the mortar joint between the soldiers and your 45 degree bricks, metal support resting in the notches. Whatever path you choose, I would be as gentle as possible.

james 12-11-2007 09:12 AM

Hey Dave,

That's a serious drag, but I'm sure you can work through it. Nature is on your side on this one. You cannot avoid cracking, but you definitely can repair your arch to be structurally 100% solid. It's the nature of brick arches -- get it right and it will stand for hundreds of years.

I agree with the theory that this has to do with lateral thrust pushing your arch outward, not with your mortar and repair compound. The idea of bracing both your entry arch and the vent opening arch sounds right to me --- you can either use a metal brace, or something masonry, either more bricks or blocks.

I used a course of half CMU's when I built my first oven to support the vent and the decorative arch.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
James