Old 03-17-2008, 04:46 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: IR Thermometer and residual heat

TK63.
Misleading figures. (Should have been a politician, eh).
2 points.
1. That measurement was after 2 days, with an oven temp of 125 and air temp around 20(all temps in Celcius, sorry).So not a big gradient.
2.I went off half-cocked. Flamin impetuous boy!

So more useful figures from the last day or so.

7pm, 450 (pizza time)
10pm,277 (burnt pizza-roll time)
noon, 208 (temp check after 14 hr)
4pm, 197 (temp check, + cold stew in).
5pm, 176 (stew check 'n muck about).
7pm, 171 (meal out)
9pm, 177 in oven, 75 in 'foyer'.
So after an initial fall averaging 60/hr over 3 hrs, the next 24hr dropped by 100C, or 4/hr averaged.

So tomorrow, I should be able to do slo-cooked boar over maybe 8hrs. What do you reckon Inishta?
Fellers, this line of thought is not mere academia. I reckon a pizza night generates enough stored energy for at least 2 more night's fodder.
As always, criticism of my post is welcome. (NOT! no one enjoys criticism!!)
But I'd love to see other's data, eh.
teach.
ps . Final reading for the night @9.40pm (air temp 23C).
Oven, 176, "foyer" (or is that 'atrium')? 75
more later. t.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Journeyman

Need to make a trip to UK to get the thermometer then I can contribute...........

teach.......Wrap her up nice and snug and overnight should be a sound proposition..............or all day...........whatever!

Old 03-18-2008, 02:23 AM
Journeyman

Inish,
Before god (ahh, James), gave us the WFO, I'd been looking at American sites re smoking and slow cooking, and I really wasn't set up for it. Always a bit hit'n miss with temps.
Brick ovens are becoming SO predictable that I'm about game enough to leave a big chunk of animal protein alone all day, knowing that when we come home, it will be just so good.
As an update, after 47hours from pizza, the atrium was 50C, oven120.
90 minutes later, and I am about to check the damage: feeling confident.
teach.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Journeyman

teach, over here a very popular dish is Tandir lamb. It is large joints, usually leg, that is put in stainless steel covered roasters and left to cook all day at low temps in the WFO. Incredibly falling off the bone tender. Served with hot pide bread and a salad.........maybe a cold beer...........a first class luncheon.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:14 AM
Serf

Talisker
Is this IR gun the one from gastools? Is 500 degrees celcius enough do you think?
I was originally looking at the cheap digital thermometers with dual k type thermocouples (also on ebay) however the thermocouples only went up to 200 degrees celcius and none of the suppliers can source higher rating couples.
Thanks.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Laborer

Yes it is the one from Gas Tools. They are always on eBay for $65. I just bid $65 and no one bid against me.

After firing for 2+ hours the IR gun was able to measure all temp's except pointing directly at the coals. It goes OL if you do that

I was not prepared to fork out an additional $100 for the next model up. Also I notices that FB Shop sells an IR Thermometer which measures at the same range. So I guess it is what is popular.

In summary I think it is sufficient. Even when the oven is hottest it is able to measure the dome and floor temp no problem. Also if it's says OL then it's just too damn hot to cook!

cheers
Old 11-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Serf

I am in the process of building an oven. I am up to the cladding stage and would like to know where to get the IR thermometer in Australia that Talisker63 obtained for $65 from Ebay in Australia.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:13 AM
Apprentice

Talisker posted that back in March, so prices and even models may have changed. I need one too, so if you figure out a good unit at a good price make sure and post it for the rest of us shoppers!

Thanks,
Travis
Old 11-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Laborer

Hey guy's,

they are still on Ebay for $65 web link to the current auction is;
Mini Infrared Thermometer -40 to 500C Laser Pointer Gun - eBay Meters, Test, Measurement Equipment, Electrical, Test Equipment, Business, Industrial. (end time 05-Nov-08 21:38:12 AEDST)

Or you can get them from the sellers eBay store at;
eBay Australia Shop - gastools: Infrared Temperature Meters, Gas Detectors, Digital Manometers

still works great!

cheers
Old 11-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Serf

Hi
I also bought one of those listed above and it works great. I recently saw a similar unit advertised in a Bunnings catelogue for around the same money so that may be easier for you.