Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   An interesting book. (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/interesting-book-16238.html)

brickie in oz 06-29-2011 01:14 AM

An interesting book.

1 Attachment(s)
An interesting book.
I just got this book today off Epay, I have just flicked through it and havent read it as yet.
It shows how to construct etc.

This may turn out to be a fun construction. :)

On a side note, I got the book from a UK seller with free postage for A$28, an online well known local book seller wanted A$80, no wonder they are all shutting up shop. :mad:

chidding 06-29-2011 01:22 AM

Re: An interesting book.

Wow nice..

Although what possible use could you have for a kiln?

brickie in oz 06-29-2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chidding (Post 116058)
Wow nice..

Although what possible use could you have for a kiln?

Knowledge, fun building it, and why not? :p

I do have a gas forge for metalwork and I thought maybe I could utilize some ideas from the book and build a wood forge. :cool:

chidding 06-29-2011 01:59 AM

Sounds like me at times, wouldnt catch me reading a book in this lifetime.. but when it comes to guide/how to's.. i'll read them all day..

Not to mention once i learn how to do something, I must do it..

Example 1 - my pizza oven.

Last week I read about cheese making, now my Rennet/Thermometer have arrived in the post ill be making cheese 2nite..

Its a curse, but a good curse at that.

brickie in oz 06-29-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chidding (Post 116060)
Last week I read about cheese making, now my Rennet/Thermometer have arrived in the post ill be making cheese 2nite..

Cool, keep us informed as how it all goes.

Johnny the oven man 06-29-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickie in oz (Post 116057)
An interesting book.
I just got this book today off Epay, I have just flicked through it and havent read it as yet.
It shows how to construct etc.

This may turn out to be a fun construction. :)

On a side note, I got the book from a UK seller with free postage for A$28, an online well known local book seller wanted A$80, no wonder they are all shutting up shop. :mad:

If ya need a kiln, got a electrical unit at work you could use, 8 cubic ft.

brickie in oz 06-29-2011 06:54 PM

Thanks John but it was more the aspect of having a play with the bricks... :rolleyes: :D

brickie in oz 06-30-2011 01:50 AM

Im glad I didnt pay A$80 for this book, its main emphasis is on clay and glazes and how to achieve such? :confused:

I thought it was about building kilns? :confused:

There are quite a few diagrams on building the kiln but the narrative is lacking as to what, why, how.
I can pick up from the pics what is going on but a newbie to brickwork would seriously struggle. :(

david s 06-30-2011 02:48 PM

The book you really need is "Kilns" by Daniel Rhodes, publ. By Pitman. This book is considered a a classic and a must have by potters and kiln builders. Gives a complete rundown of types, guidelines for sizes and relative flue and throat dim. history, materials, proportion, refractory info. firing, etc. etc.

brickie in oz 07-01-2011 01:07 AM

Ill have to have a look and check it out.