Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Insulation / Vermiculite

No OEM could sell a product containing asbestos in the USA. Even if it were legal, the liability problems would (and have) destroy entire industries. Anyone been to Manville NJ recently?

Unless you bought 20 year old bags off the back of a truck, you have no worry about asbestos. You still don't want to breathe the loose dust: silica is no lung treat either...

I don't know the answer to the silicone treated water resistant stuff. I know it's not recommended. You may just have to wait to see if it hardens up.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Delay - I didn't use vermiculite for the floor base. I went with the board. I used mine for insulation over the blanket's and flue. I did notice that the first two bags had the shape of "cottage cheese", and the third bag looked like sawdust. All of them set pretty well after the 5/1 mix. I sat my last 7 courses of decorative brick on it and it's solid as hell. I think you are good to go. This project is very intimidating at the gate, follow the plans and it will be good. Build on....

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey delay!fox,

I have to echo what Dmun wrote (is that the second time today?). I would not worry about any current vermiculite product having asbestos. Further, it is contained within your Portland cement mix and enclosed inside your oven.

Most vermiculite concrete feels soft (like oatmeal) as it cures, but it eventually sets, and its only role in live is to act as a passive insulator. It will definitely have the compression strength to hold up your oven.

Let us know how it goes.
James