Old 02-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Insulated door question

FWIW, the outer face of mine gets quite hot despite it being insulated.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, this is an experiment. The door is constructed in such a way that if the wood rots, burns, or is otherwise lost, the rest of the door is salvageable. I can unscrew the metal from the wood and either replace the wood periodically or put something else on in its place (metal).

Perhaps if you are saying it gets pretty hot, I should be concerned about staining or varnishing it. I wouldn't want that to seep into the oven and there won't be much outward draw during backing since the flue will cool down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 02-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Journeyman

I'm not sure I would bother but maybe you'll get better mileage out of this than I am envisioning. Maybe let your first one be the test dummy and decide from that if it's worth it to stain/varnish.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good idea. I think I may have to rebuild the whole thing anyway. I'm building the interior out of weldable steel, and although most of it will be inside the oven most of the time, I suspect the entire thing will become 100% rust in a matter of weeks, which is shame because I'm putting way too much effort into building it. I like my design (photos when it's done), but my materials are probably going to turn out to be a failure.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 02-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Journeyman

Kebwi,

The key to keeping your wood door from turning to ash is don't let any part of the wood touch brick.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/o...html#post54043 (oven door)

The door above has been in use for more than a year, as you will see in the illustration it uses fiberglass tape and rope to make the seal with the oven and to prevent the wood from hitting any portion of the oven directly (including the floor). I used marine varnish for the finish and it too hasn't suffered from the heat, and this door has closed up temps 800+

Jim
Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The entire perimeter of the wood portion of my door will be wrapped, but only with metal. The question will then be, how much heat will the wood take through that interface. Probably alot, seeing as it's metal. I'll see how it goes.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 03-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Journeyman

Hmmmm, unfortunately metal is a fine conductor, so wood on metal on brick will have the same problems as wood directly on brick, you will need some insulator material between the wood and the brick. Otherwise your results at the higher temps will look like my final experiment before committing to the raised panel.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/2/ov...html#post54181 (oven door)

The fiberglass rope is available in any home center. The tape is a bit harder to find, but I have a large spool sitting around with no use in sight and if interested I will send you a length to accommodate your door for the cost of shipping it to you.

Jim
Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, I expect this door to fail in many ways, the rustable steel being one of the most prominent, the wood being another contender. I haven't seen the fiberglass rope in the local HD or Lowe's, but maybe I didn't find the right section. What is the tape? How thick and wide is it? Do I need to apply it in several layers?

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 03-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Apprentice

I wouldn't be too concerned about the interior of the door rusting out. I was using mine for a couple months and it didn't develop any rust on the interior (weldable steel) until I left the door fully exposed to the rain (d'oh). Even now it only has a couple spots on it. Nothing too severe.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebwi View Post
Yeah, I expect this door to fail in many ways, the rustable steel being one of the most prominent, the wood being another contender. I haven't seen the fiberglass rope in the local HD or Lowe's, but maybe I didn't find the right section. What is the tape? How thick and wide is it? Do I need to apply it in several layers?
Take a look in the fireplace or wood stoves section for the cord. They will have the adhesive necessary as well. As for the tape, you will find a picture here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/2/ov...html#post57874 (oven door)

You will see that I have lowered my original offer made on this post (I am no longer charging for the tape), someone should get some benefit from this.

As mentioned earlier in the same thread, to construct my door I used a couple of layers of insulation board sandwiched between three sheet metal layers that act as "heat sinks". There is a channel around the edge of the door that holds the fiberglass cord and then 2.5" (by 1/8" by length to fit) fiberglass tape encloses the insulation board (see same thread for photo)