Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Insert damper into double-walled stovepipe?

Air will follow the path of least resistance. The increased draw will simply pull more fresh air from outside the oven entry up the stack rather then pull air through all the resistance of the oven in any way that will effect combustion. If you were dealing with a pressurized oven chamber where there is no path of least resistance scenario the damper would make a huge difference.

If I was in your shoes I'd put it in without the damper. If by some odd chance it needs one you will be able to install it after the fact just as easy as now. You simply need a heavy gauge metal damper the is u-bolted to a rod that extends through both walls of the vent pipe. Then simply drill a hole through both walls on each side to fit the rod, push it in, and tighten the damper to it with the u-bolts. Doesn't get much easier and something we do every day.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuboyje View Post
If by some odd chance it needs one you will be able to install it after the fact just as easy as now. You simply need a heavy gauge metal damper the is u-bolted to a rod that extends through both walls of the vent pipe. Then simply drill a hole through both walls on each side to fit the rod, push it in, and tighten the damper to it with the u-bolts. Doesn't get much easier and something we do every day.
I don't see how I'll reach up inside the flue to hold the damper in place while I insert the rod. The setup on my oven will make it pretty difficult.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 07-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebwi View Post
I don't see how I'll reach up inside the flue to hold the damper in place while I insert the rod. The setup on my oven will make it pretty difficult.
You don't need to. You insert the rod, then reach up inside and u-bolt the damper to it. The first nut on the first u-bolt is a little tough, but once you get that it will begin to hold the damper in place and the rest get's much easier.