Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   Indispensable tool question (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/indispensable-tool-question-16379.html)

alexi82 07-19-2011 12:52 AM

Indispensable tool question

Hey Guys

Quick question re: the indispensable tool...

Should the arm of this tool be adjustable? Or is my assumption right in saying that it should not be. if the high dome pompeii oven is being built, then the diameter is 42 inches, and the height is 21....so surely then the length of the tool will be 21 inches and not change?

Just wanted to confirm my thinking!

Cheers,
Alexi

brickie in oz 07-19-2011 12:54 AM

Re: Indispensable tool question

Some builds have the dome lower so the arm is adjustable, a personal choice I think. :)

alexi82 07-19-2011 12:57 AM

ahh :) indeed...

But a standard pompeii as according to the plans, a non adjustable arm will give you a nice dome shape and correct angling in...?

brickie in oz 07-19-2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexi82 (Post 117424)
ahh :) indeed...

But a standard pompeii as according to the plans, a non adjustable arm will give you a nice dome shape and correct angling in...?

Youll have to wait for one of them dome builders to answer Im afraid, Im one one of them dreaded barrel builders......whmhahahahahaha :D

alexi82 07-19-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickie in oz (Post 117425)
Im one one of them dreaded barrel builders......whmhahahahahaha :D

haha don't worry, so am i. I haev built an Alan Scott barrel style oven already. its been fantastic. but we are moving house soon to a bigger place and i think im gonna give the pompeii a crack!

brickie in oz 07-19-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexi82 (Post 117426)
haha don't worry, so am i. I haev built an Alan Scott barrel style oven already. its been fantastic. but we are moving house soon to a bigger place and i think im gonna give the pompeii a crack!

Ive built 3 ovens, number 1 was a cast refractory it was easy to build, the next oven was a barrel and very easy to build, and a 1/4 scale Pompeii which was the most painfulest because of the cuts that would have been involved if I didnt just bog it all up. :)

alexi82 07-19-2011 01:33 AM

nice one!

what do u think of the pompeii in comparison?

brickie in oz 07-19-2011 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexi82 (Post 117431)
nice one!

what do u think of the pompeii in comparison?

Ive not seen a full sized Pompeii in action nor built one and of course not wanting to upset anyone, but I think its just a pain to build, all them cuts, each course changes with the angle, no thanks.
Keeping in mind Ive only built a 1/4 scale just for the exercise.

The full scale barrel was way easier to build in my opinion.

alexi82 07-19-2011 01:57 AM

hrm hrm hrm... :)

interesting.

in saying that...are there really that many cuts if using the single length indispensable tool? bar cutting each brick in half....?

brickie in oz 07-19-2011 01:59 AM

Youll have to wait for the domers to wake up to answer that one. :rolleyes: