Old 05-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Indispensable Tool available

Claire,
The tool has been passed to Gianni Focaccia. This particular tool was made by Jim Gleim for the person who gave it to me. He may be willing to make you one,I think he is about to make a second oven( he moved). Send him a private message (jcg31).While you are at it check out his oven cam on his build thread, it is cool.
Good luck,
Eric
Old 05-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Claire,
Sorry for the late response. Once I am done with the I-tool I have promised to send it to Metal Man. Perhaps you two can connect?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Master Builder

I'd hate to see someone's oven build potentially be put on hold for weeks simply due to not having the I-tool.
While the clamping assembly of the I-tool is totally ingenious and makes brick laying very easy, putting together the tool itself gets a bit more involved than constructing a much simpler I-tool without the clamp. I noticed a good majority of the builders who built their own I-tool didn't use the clamp assembly, including myself.
My crude looking I-tool gave me a nice round dome. If you wedge your bricks they will stay put after a couple of minutes. You can then remove the I-tool from that brick and move on to the next brick.

The simplest looking I-tool I saw belonged to Eric's Minnesota Insanity oven build. If I were to build another oven I would make my I-tool similar to his. I would simply use one long threaded rod with a large tension nut on the brick end. The other end will pivot on a piece of plywood. The pivot end could be as simple as drilling a large hole in the plywood and simply letting the threaded rod pivot within the hole itself. Nice thing about this is that the rod pivots at the oven floor level. This I-tool would consist of just 3 parts.....threaded rod, tension nut, and plywood.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 06-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Serf

I may be a little dense, but can someone enlighten me to what this essential tool is?...
Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Rojaws

At the top of the "Tools, Tips and Techniques" forum you'll see "Hendo's dome gauge -- nice idea " the third item down. This about covers it.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...idea-2573.html (Hendo's dome gauge -- nice idea)

Chris