Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 03:28 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Improving 'floated' finish on concrete countertop

Looking good. The chalk artwork is very special too.
RichC likes this.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Apprentice

Damn hairline crack in the counter right at the front, the most visible spot. It doesn't appear to go right through. I assume the best solution us just working some slurry into it when I reach 800grit like with the small bug holes?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Damn hairline crack in the counter right at the front, the most visible spot. It doesn't appear to go right through. I assume the best solution us just working some slurry into it when I reach 800grit like with the small bug holes?
hmmm. Why is it cracking? Hard to say whether or not slurry will fix it or it will just reappear, best to understand why it might be cracking already

Old 04-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

So, the mould forms are removed and you're sanding already?

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-20-2014, 10:25 PM
Apprentice

Forms are off but haven't done any sanding. I'm guessing its just a shrinkage crack! I used slightly less latex additive than I did on the first attempt that I cut out.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

When did you remove the forms? The reason for the questions...I suspect that the slab should have stayed covered and dampened longer. For larger format stuff like your pour, depending on the temperatures, two weeks would be my minimum before I stripped the forms.

Not much you can do now.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Apprentice

2 cracks!!! Neither appear to penetrate the slab completely. They're very fine cracks. Rather than try and work a slurry in, I'm going to run my angle grinder blade through it and then fill it. Hopefully this will avoid pockets of trapped moisture that might cause more damage when the frost hits it. Any reasons why this is a bad idea?
Old 06-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I wouldn't cut into the cracks. It will just weaken that spot further and it will continue to crack. Cracks are part of using concrete. As long as they're fine lines, don't worry about it. I have a couple cracks in my counters at corners/joints. I never even think about them

Old 06-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Deejay, I'll get the arch built and plaster the dome before I finish the counter. With the Irish weather I'm worried about water ingress
Old 06-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Serf

I would not worry about the cracks if they are small (read hairline) just make sure the counter is well sealed. In cold weather ice is the biggest enemy of concrete. You stop the water, there is no ice.