Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Improving 'floated' finish on concrete countertop

You can also make a slurry and coat it before grinding it to fill the holes and trowel marks.
deejayoh likes this.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Apprentice

Can't cast upsidedown Stonecutter. Its a single piece with the oven sticking up out of the middle and sloping away on all sides.
@Tscarborough Because they're not just pinholes I'd have to put a skim coat on the whole surface. I'd be afraid of it breaking away in chunks as it expands and contracts due to weather or is that unlikely? Anyway, I reckon I can cut it out in a few hours and Repour in about a half day
Old 03-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You will grind off 99.3% of it, so don't worry about it popping off.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
You can also make a slurry and coat it before grinding it to fill the holes and trowel marks.
This

You'll be amazed at how well you can fill all those bugholes. Mix up some portland and latex additive and work it into the holes. I found it worked best to do it when you are at about 800 grit - set your grinder on slow, and use the pad to work the slurry into all the holes. Then go back over with 800 once it dries. Found that on some concrete countertop website and it worked a treat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:42 AM
Apprentice

Thanks guys but I'm going to redo it. Just not happy with it and I'll be looking at it for a long time. It's 50mm at the thinnest to about 70mm in places with steel mesh about 3mm thick inside. Will I be able to cut that with my grinder and diamond blade or should I rent a consaw?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yep,but use a continuous rim blade, not segmented.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Apprentice

Damn, the blade I have is segmented. Might work out cheaper renting a con saw with blade for the day
Old 03-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can do it, but it's safer with a continuous rim. Go slow.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can cut the wire with a segmented saw as long as it is embedded, but if it hangs on a piece that is loose.....
Old 04-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Apprentice

Rented a con saw and cut the counter out last Saturday. What a horrible job using a con saw!! Anyway, when I removed the shutter there were visible gaps where the concrete wasn't vibrated in properly. Glad I cut it out now. Thinking if taking Friday off work and redoing it.