Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Won't be as neat and precise but I guess you can take an angle grinder to round off or bevel the edges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 04-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

George, at some point I may take a grinder but to date it's no big deal. I just figured since it was on my mind, I'd pass it along to the next generation.
Les, :-)

Chris
Old 04-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Peasant

I'd pay more attention to the door/chimney area. But for those new to brickwork - that is the hardest bit - so I opted to keep it simple. You don't get such a good seal on the door or neat chimney - but it still cooks good.

James
Old 04-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Laborer

I'd have invested in a good brick saw. I did everything with an angle grinder or chisel, and some of my stuff was less than neat. I covered it with mortar. works great and nobody notices, but I do. If I ever build another (I hope not), I'd pay more attention to the angles.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
One more item..
Champfer the inside of the entry to minimize chipping when tending the fire and cleaning the oven out. Just a 1/4 to 1/2 inch would keep chipping of this edge to a minimum.

Chris
This is definitely a problem, I thought I was the only one. My next oven will have a pre-cast angle iron entry way with a hinged door (with my name on it...haha). I am hitting that edge, all the time, with my peel. When a chip of fire-brick comes flying-off, it breaks my heart.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Laborer

I would have increased the thickness of my inner arch. It is only about 1.5 inches thick. I have already managed to hit it with a log causing the arch bricks to release. I reset the mortar. However, after a few firings, the bricks are already loose again. I made it so thin because I needed room for the flue to pass through the arch. When I was looking at the photos of arch designs in the Pompeii instructions, I could have sworn that I was cutting the arch bricks just like in the Pompeii photos. Oh well. Live and learn.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Serf

If i had the chance, i will make my oven way bigger and i will increase the heat temperature. Nice thread here. Thanks for posting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:03 AM
Master Builder

how big posey? these things eat a lot of wood. My 60"er takes 2 good hours to warm-up and a lot of wood.....but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Love the extra floor space and can easily do a whole pig, lamb, whatever.

For a commercial application, 60" is good size and you can do a lot of bread in it as well...probably 20 lbs. I haven't mustard-up the courage to do 20 lbs yet.

Mine is a low-dome 60"s. I like the lower dome for pizza, but I think it browns the top crust of bread faster than I like. Of course I have nothing to compare it to, so I don't really know how a perfect dome would cook.

I cook a dozen loaves of French bread no problem....maybe 4 - 5 kilos. Jay will tell you that you can't get a proper artisan crust without a 16 lb load...Hope I didn't mis-quote you Jay. Will have to let you know when I get some more courage...wasn't that the lion's line in wizard of Oz?....Courage.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Peasant

For sure the floor insulation would be at least 2" plus inches thick and ceramic and right under the cooking surface.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
I would have built mine years earlier.
I'll give you a big noshit on that one