Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 07:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Sorry for the late response. People say that when you have the insulation on the heat transfers more evenly, therefore less chance of heat spots = cracks.
I subscribe to this theory, but the drawback is that it is more difficult for the water to escape and also not possible to easily check for dome cracks. You would need to remove the blanket, inspect and replace it. I don't bother inspecting the outside of the dome, just the inside.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amac View Post
Can't argue with a real brickie
Wikipedia has a nice drawing I copied showing the 6 different bricklaying positions. Having said that this forum seems to have a convention using chipsters description. The tower of babel was never finished because the builders didn't understand each other - nothing will stop the tower of pizza
From a veteran mason, a shiner is actually a brick laid with the face towards the back. Some face brick are hard to tell which is the face, till the wall is completed. Then you will see them here and there.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Laborer

First on my list would be oven door opening size. I calculated the height of the door and and tried to limit the width so that I would not have a lot of heat loss. This is on a 43 inch pompeii style oven from plans. I should have increased the width by about 1 inch total so that a full 18 inch commercial pan would fit instead of the 1/2 pans that I use. It is not much of a loss because I can get 3 1/2 pans in the oven at one time vs 1 full size pan. But still I would have liked the choice.

Also, I think that I would have put an additional 1/2 brick under the full brick floor, or instead of putting the 2 1/2 in thick side down, I could have put the brick on its side and made the floor 4 inches thick. For retained heat cooking, more floor mass it better, even if it takes a bit more wood.