Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banhxeo76 View Post
If I had a chance to rebuild my WFO................ I would build it without being married. No wife to complain about me spending to much too time with my true love.
Ha....the first one I built at our home, the good woman called herself a WFO widow. She doesn't mind this time around, because of how much she enjoyed the first one. Or she just doesn't miss my company...either way, I'm happy to be building another.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 AM
Serf

I would make it bigger, (mine is about 1m in diameter), and my doorway is a little narrow, and a bit deep, otherwise, this is probably the best home built thing ever!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:30 PM
Laborer

I've been baking in my 42" Pompeii (4.5" floor, no cladding, 17" dome height) every week or two for a year now. I work nights, and I usually do pizza for lunch & leftovers (2 or 3 18-20" NY style, or a dozen Neapolitan when the weather is warm). The next day I've got 400+ degrees, so I burn a moderate fire for a couple of hours and bake 20-30 loaves of bread. If I were to build again, I'd go bigger (46-48") and lower (14" or so). And maybe mobile (or at least towable)...
Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Apprentice

I put in a soldier course on the bottom row, not necessary, with a 1 meter diameter, the dome would have had sufficient height.
lwood likes this.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Master Builder

Agreed Spunkoid, especially if you want a low dome oven. The issue gets worst as you increase the dia. I have a 60" oven and I would definitely remove the soldier course and start the dome right at the floor.
Spunkoid likes this.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Apprentice

On a similar thread, one thing that I did that I really like and get rave reviews for is I found and old wall mount bottle opener and I screwed it onto the forno. Everyone comments on it and it gets regular use during any of our get togethers.....
Old 08-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Master Builder

Cool Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Just want to post here to bring this thread back to the top for awhile. Really good points in here to consider for the class of 2013 and beyond and it was hard to find this thread.

For me, I would use homebrew and save $$ and probably build a smaller oven. 36" takes awhile to get to pizza temp. The size is great, but i think a smaller would heat faster and get used more. Not sure, just wish i had time to use it more.

Texman

Old 08-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A smaller oven doesn't mean faster heat up because a smaller oven has a smaller fire. It is the thickness of the walls and their conductivity that govern how fast it will heat. My oven is only 21" and has 2" walls, it still takes an hour to clear and an hour and a half to get to proper pizza temp. If I'm cooking for a big crowd I'll give it two hours of fire.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Master Builder

Post Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

david s

That is about exactly what my oven prep times are. Takes 1.5 to two hours to clear. Not sure what a complete saturation is just yet and not sure how to tell. So it just takes a while to get them to temp for pizza whether small or larger. More mass=more time but more retention. For some reason i had it in my head the smaller ovens were quicker to heat. Thanks for the clarity.

Texman

Last edited by texman; 08-19-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spell
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Apprentice

Time. I would change time. As in give myself more of it. I definitely did this oven with one eye always on the clock. I rushed it and it came out sloppy. Not what I intended at all.

Ok this was my first and in no way a permanent oven for me but a favor to my landlord. When its time to leave in 3.5 years she gets a brick oven with some years still left on it.

This was a practice oven to show me what I would do wrong. And the biggest mistake was time and lack of patience.
Next oven I will shape and form every chain of bricks, Build a jigsaw from scratch. Make it pretty. And do it somewhere outside of China where I can buy bricks of uniform size and quality, not the hodgepodge I got to work with.
But that is it, what I would change first, TIME.

BC