Old 02-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: I have an axe to grind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabia Jim View Post

<snip>

30 years, 8 chain saws, too many cords to count! As usual, your mileage may vary.

XJ
Hi Jimbo, the sharpener tool was for the chopping axe - I take your point about the blocksplitter...

BTW, I've used the same Stihl 041 Electronic from the early 1970s and continue to use if for smaller jobs on our 53 acre block. But some two years ago I bought a new Stihl Magnum to fell a dozen or so trees around the house, which I think my old workhorse might have had trouble with.

The new tool is mostly plastic rather than diecast alu as its sibling from 1973, but it's very light and easy to handle, even with the much more powerful engine and very long blade...

Cheers, y hasta luego!

LMH
Old 02-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Journeyman

Hi Jimbo, the sharpener tool was for the chopping axe - I take your point about the blocksplitter...

BTW, I've used the same Stihl 041 Electronic from the early 1970s and continue to use if for smaller jobs on our 53 acre block. But some two years ago I bought a new Stihl Magnum to fell a dozen or so trees around the house, which I think my old workhorse might have had trouble with.

The new tool is mostly plastic rather than diecast alu as its sibling from 1973, but it's very light and easy to handle, even with the much more powerful engine and very long blade...

Cheers, y hasta luego!

LMH
Old 02-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
<snip> Galvanised ANYthing is a dog to weld. (Never mind the fumes). Galvanised mesh, weight for weight, is the Alpha dog.
TAFE run some neat courses, eh. Have a look at your local outfit.

<snip>

Let's know how Fiskas performs please. My mind isn't totally shut to new stuff.
Luddite Jeff.
Ta, Jeff, had a look at their offerings and may just take such a course... In the meantime, Bianca has converted the galmesh cage to a nice roomy nursery for sitting geese - or broody hen that need their sitting instinct dulled for a few days...

Will keep you guys posted - I still am very chuffed with both the block splitter and the chopping axe - just the kind of tools a 72-y-0 (well, nearly) can wield with confidence :-)

Cheers,

LMH

Last edited by carioca; 02-15-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: re-arrange reply
Old 02-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Chainsaws.....

Hey, I'm a Stihl man in a big way....they're all great from the little one, an 008 to my big one an 036, and more inbetween. I even brought one to Spain in my suitcase.

Who has a chainsaw collection? Must have sawdust in my head from the 26 stitches in my neck......watch that kickback!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!