Old 01-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: I can't get my pizza off my peel

Tyler,

I think it was Thermojax who originally posted that he successfully stretched his dough, dusted cardboard and placed the skin on the cardboard and used the cardboard for the peel.

I too used this method as I built 18+ pizzas (two failures due to folks not following directions when building the pizzas.) It worked flawlessly. So, if you were to do that on a peel, it should work well.

As for sources of Rice Flour. I go to a local asian grocery store - good ol wally dont carry none of dat stuff, though plenty of masa and such. Too bad they do not carry good Mexican Chocolate for mol'e!

Heck, if enough folks are having enough of a problem with getting rice flour, I will put my son to work grinding some - I have a grain grinder for making various grinds of flours.

Best o luck!

Chris

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Master Builder

It's definitely easier to release the pie from a wooden peel than from a metal peel, for me anyway. A light dusting of any flour should be enough to release the dough from the wooden peel. A metal peel is a bit harder to get the dough to release. But my trick is not to let the dough sit too long on the peel. Before you even think about putting the pie in the oven, you shake the peel to release the dough from the peel outside the oven.

If it doesn't release outside the oven, it certainly won't release inside the oven. If you shake the peel when you first put the dough on the peel, without toppings, it should easily slide around on the peel. Shake it again once you have the sauce on the dough to free it up again, if necessary. Then be sure to shake it just before you put it in the oven to verify it is free from the peel.

Once you have it in the oven, gently shake the peel get about an inch of the dough on the oven hearth. Once one inch of dough is on the oven surface lift the peel so the dough is on the incline. That one inch will adhere to oven surface while you pull out and gently shake at the same time. It's important to shake the peel at the same time as pulling out. Other wise you get an oblong shaped pizza. I would try a wooden peel at first, it's a lot easier to work with.

There is a video that is posted here called "great peel work" I think, that shows a real pro with a peel and how it's done in the industry. Commercially the entire pie is prepared "on the counter" then scooped-up with the metal peel and into the oven immediately. The counter surface is typically of some kind of smooth stone and well dusted with semolina. The video shows this very nicely. Will post a link.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Master Builder

Here is the link => http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f41/...ork-14394.html (Great peel work....)
Old 01-16-2011, 11:23 PM
Journeyman

My technique is to build the pizza on a wooden peel that is dusted with flour. Speed of building the pizza is a key factor. Shake the dough on the peel frequently while building the pizza. If it sticks near completion use a dough scraper to lift up the edges and free it. lwood is right: if it wont slide on the peel outside the oven, it isn't going to release inside and you have an accidental calzone in your immediate future. Good luck and happy cooking
Eric
Old 01-17-2011, 05:16 AM
Laborer

It makes me giggle imagining your toppings flying off while still having your dough on the peel b/c it has happened to me a few times, too. I haven't tried the rice flour method, but it seems to be working (you could probably make it cheaply by throwing some rice into a coffee grinder and buzzing away). The cardboard method seems cheap and similar to a wood peel effect. I'm with the others--metal peels are great for taking pies out of the oven, but not great for getting them into the oven.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Master Builder

I have one for you; the other day I fired up the oven really hot and let it soak for an hour with my round peel left inside the oven. The handle is long enough to reach well outside the oven without getting hot. I put the first pizza in and turned it a few times with the round peel, no problem. But once i slid the round peel under the pie and brought it out of the oven, the very hot peel stuck to the pizza and burned the crap out of it before I could slide it off the peel. I used to always leave the peel in the oven just as a parking place. Won't do that any more.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprante View Post
lwood is right: if it wont slide on the peel outside the oven, it isn't going to release inside and you have an accidental calzone in your immediate future. Good luck and happy cooking
Eric
I'm pretty sure calzone is Italian for fouled up pizza. When we have the stuck pizza we just yell "CALZONE" and throw it away and try again. We have a lot less problem since using the rice flour.

My projects:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=Millstone Man;106102] When we have the stuck pizza we just yell "CALZONE" and throw it away and try again. QUOTE]

I didn't get the chance - the second I created the Calzone, it continued rolling into the flame and ash.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Journeyman

Use this peel once and you will use nothing else, it really is as easy as shown in the video.

YouTube - perforated peel feedback at Las Vegas Pizza Show#2
Old 01-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is a Gimetals peel, are they still the maker of all of the Forno Bravo Tools? I have two sets that have held up very well...considering I'm pretty abusive and am always sticking one of them in and playing in the fire. Don't have the flimsy perforated one shown in the video. Looks pretty slick - the way it slides right under a pie on the bench.

RT