Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Laborer

Default Re: How to make a wooden post relatively removable from concrete

Pressure treated wood is only pressure treated a cm or two from the surface. If you consult the manufacturer's documentation they'll tell you you have to paint cut surfaces. Any hardware store here which sells the wood also sells the stuff to re-treat cut parts. I think one brand is 'Wolmanizer'.

The depth of concrete you would need would probably depend on the loads and soils.

In any event, I would probably not do what you are trying to do. I have not seen wooden posts embedded in concrete work out that well. I would probably go the steel tube in a tube approach. A steel supplier cold probably tell you what would fit (i.e. a 4" x 1/4" female would fit a 3 1/2" male). If you have a local galvanizing shop its a good idea as it is surprisingly cheap.

I'd embed the 'female' tube in concrete, making sure to fill the tube to ground level. I'd drill a hole to let water out.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How to make a wooden post relatively removable from concrete

One (tiny) thought: if you do opt for a removable wooden post make sure to include a 'drainage hole' at the bottom.

Possible means: Cut a 1/2 PVC pipe maybe 6 - 12 inches long, stuff it with plastic (bags will work) and make sure one end has an inch of 'poof from the plastic. Before your pour, drill a hole in the bottom of the hole and stick in the PVC - make sure a few inches are above the 'grade'. When you set in the plastic wrapped post push down until you hit that extra resistance.

When it's dry and you've gotten the wood out, pull out the plastic bags. Won't be perfect but it should drain the hole. Water WILL seep in, wood or no, so you want good drainage into the supporting gravel bed.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]