Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   How to cut granite block (40mm thick) DIY style & safely? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/how-cut-granite-block-40mm-thick-15641.html)

gummz 04-04-2011 06:11 AM

How to cut granite block (40mm thick) DIY style & safely?

Hi All,

For those with stone masonry expertise,, may i ask. How do i cut granite (1200x300x40mm). I got a crazy quote of $168 AUD to do a single cut to make it half ................?!?!?!?!?!?

Anyone out in the west of sydney able to do a cut for me for a small fee??? otherwise any ideas how i can do it myself?

Also, how to i "stick" to peices of granite together? or can just lay them tightly next to each other? What i need to do is make a 43cm wide bench top. But the granite pieces are only 30cm wide ....

Thanks in advance~!!!

Cheers,

Gummz

Cheesesteak 04-04-2011 09:01 AM

Re: How to cut granite block (40mm thick) DIY style & safely?

If you don't need a finished edge - just cut it with a diamond blade on a circular saw. Put some tape over the area you're going to cut to prevent splintering.

Lburou 04-04-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheesesteak (Post 110595)
If you don need a finished edge - just cut it with a diamond blade on a circular saw. Put some tape over the area you're going to cut to prevent splintering.

If you try Cheesesteak's recommendation, clamp a straight edge on there to keep it straight :)

dmun 04-04-2011 10:46 AM

That settles it. I'm moving to Australia. I'm gonna bring me a container of firebricks and a diamond saw, and I'm gonna get rich :)

stoveup 04-04-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

That settles it. I'm moving to Australia. I'm gonna bring me a container of firebricks and a diamond saw, and I'm gonna get rich
I've been thinking along the same lines - there ought to be a lot of money in manufacturing firebricks in Aussie land. How can a country that has so much have so little in the way of firebricks?

Alter ego 04-04-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoveup (Post 110607)
How can a country that has so much have so little in the way of firebricks?

There is no demand for firebrick as hardly anyone has a fireplace in their house because most of the country is not that cold over winter. Where I live 6' C (43' F) over night is about as cold as it ever gets in winter.

RTflorida 04-04-2011 06:03 PM

there may not be many fireplaces, sure seems like everyone has built or is building an oven.
dmun, stoveup......care to split that container 3 ways? I could really use a get rich quick scheme.

RT

brickie in oz 04-04-2011 10:03 PM

You can get as many firebricks as needed and more for A$3 each in Melbourne. :)

Mark CH 04-05-2011 10:49 PM

G'day Gummz,
Agree with Cheesesteak. I had a similar experience, had an offcut of granite, quote for a single cut was around $75! Apparently the grantie I had was a reall hard type but when I though "bugger it, I'll give it a go with the diamond balde fro my circular saw I bought off eBay for $12" it didn't seem so hard! Literally 2 minutes later I was done. Sure the edge isn't polished but it is covered anyway and saved be $75.
Cheerio,
Mark CH

Mark CH 04-05-2011 10:49 PM

G'day Gummz,
Agree with Cheesesteak. I had a similar experience, had an offcut of granite, quote for a single cut was around $75! Apparently the grantie I had was a really hard type but when I though "bugger it, I'll give it a go with the diamond blade on my circular saw I bought off eBay for $12" it didn't seem so hard! Literally 2 minutes later I was done. Sure the edge isn't polished but it is covered anyway and saved me $75.
Cheerio,
Mark CH