Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   Homemade Perlite Board.. and Door (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/homemade-perlite-board-door-17388.html)

asclepius 02-18-2012 02:39 PM

Homemade Perlite Board.. and Door

I am about to begin constructing my oven door, and so I was wondering if anyone had used perlite or vermiculite board in their door before, and if so, did you make it at home?

I am having a hard time bringing myself around to purchasing a ceramic fire board online due to prices and shipping since I have about 40 square feet of fire blanket left. Therefore, my current plan is..

Having the outside of the door made out of hardwood. Then i would put 3 or 4 layers of my extra 1" ceramic fire blanket on top of that (and smash it down a little). Next I would put my homemade perlite board which will be around 1.5". Then those will be bolted together and I will have that covered by either steer or aluminum. Any thoughts?

cobblerdave 02-18-2012 09:12 PM

Re: Homemade Perlite Board.. and Door

Gudday

One thing to keep in mind ( as a rabid backyard "over engineer er" myself) is the weight of the finished product. Concider weighing all the parts before building otherwise you could end up with a wrist breaker.

Regards Dave

Les 02-18-2012 09:32 PM

As Dave mentioned, I would keep the weight in mind. I would be more concerned that the ceramic fiber was sealed. You don't want the stuff in your food.

asclepius 02-18-2012 10:56 PM

Yes, my priority is to make sure the ceramic is sealed in. I am construction an internal box of aluminum that will hold the ceramic blanket in it .

My concern was the weight in regard to my own board. I do not want to use portland/perlite for that reason, but I have searched all over the internet looking for another resin that I could use to bind the perlite together to make a board but so far no luck.

Laku 02-19-2012 03:33 AM

I would use stainless steel if you can instead of aluminium, which is about 15 times as good heat conductor as ssteel.

Les 02-19-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asclepius (Post 127634)
looking for another resin that I could use to bind the perlite together to make a board but so far no luck.

I just poured loose vermiculite into my door. It works pretty well. It does conduct some heat but I am still able to cook on day three.

Faith In Virginia 02-19-2012 02:51 PM

I used galvanized steel and packed 3" of vermiculite / Portland as the core. It's a bit heavy but makes a good seal. I get some heat loss through but not enough to worry about.

asclepius 02-19-2012 10:13 PM

I thought galvanized steel was bad due to the zinc burnoff??

asclepius 02-24-2012 10:16 PM

So I have been researching some, and I think I am going to try a different approach to a door. I play to mix plaster of paris with perlite, then on the outside of the door i will have a wooden exterior. It will all be encased in steel which will in turn be riveted to the door. I also plan to put two layers of 1 inch thick ceramic blanket in front of the plaster of paris. Overall I am hoping for a thickness of 5 inches.

My question is, has anyone used plaster of paris for a door? Mixed with perlite?

dmun 02-25-2012 03:37 AM

Plaster isn't waterproof. I'd stay away from gypsum products in any potentially wet area. The first rain will reduce your insulation to a crumbly mess. If you're encasing in metal, why not use loose vermiculite? Less weight, less problems.