Old 01-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: High or Low?

I love it.

But I'm thinking the base could be made into a wine cellar. Honestly!

I used to spend time up at Afton mtn vineyards and talked with Tom repeatedly about his dream for a manmade wine cave - he finally built it!!! You can too!

It is a daunting amount of masonry but if you want it bad enough you can do it - what about going 90 degrees from the house vs across the back of the deck? It might make access to the wine cellar easier.

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
Tigersmith -- great pics. that is exactly what I plan on. Although it probably will not be nearly as nice!!!
Hey Virgil,
I had originally planned to face the whole project with faux stone till I priced it. This would have more than doubled the price of this project. I think now I will do it partially in stone and the rest in stucco. Time will tell.

The idea of a wine cellar under the oven is an interesting idea, though mine would be a beer cellar. I have become rather fond of rich, high octane Belgian beers.

Later

George
Old 01-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Journeyman

Stone veneer products can be really expensive, but poke around Craigslist and keep your eyes open for opportunities. I found a local manufacturer who makes beautiful faux stone veneer for $4/sf (including corner pieces). He had over 500sf of overage from a large order, and sold me all I needed for $2.50/sf. It still adds up, but it can be done for a lot less than I thought, and it's easy to create a very professional finish.

The plan looks amazing!