Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   HF tile/brick saw, pump in external reservoir (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/hf-tile-brick-saw-pump-external-8448.html)

kebwi 10-25-2009 11:25 PM

HF tile/brick saw, pump in external reservoir

I've read the suggestion of putting the pump in an external bucket to keep it from clogging up with brick dust/clay. I'm confused how the water system remains "closed" in this configuration. All the water is transferred from the external bucket to the saw's water-tray, but then never back to the bucket again. How does this work?

Thanks.

ThisOldGarageNJ 10-26-2009 04:24 AM

Re: HF tile/brick saw, pump in external reservoir

Hey Keb,
Adding the bucket your just using fresh water, not a closed system anymore.... you refill the 5 gal bucket with fresh water as needed and the tile saw just overflows/drains onto the ground..

Cheers
Mark

kebwi 10-26-2009 07:50 AM

So don't use it in the basement then. :) I'll come up with something, maybe notch the tray so it overflows at a single point, then put a bucket under it on the ground.

Whatever...just wondering how it works. I have a picture now.

Thanks.

dbhansen 10-26-2009 08:18 AM

You can have a steady stream of new water going into the bucket with a hose, if you want to....

papavino 10-26-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbhansen (Post 68901)
You can have a steady stream of new water going into the bucket with a hose, if you want to....

That's how I did mine, unless I was just doing a couple quick cuts. Worked really well.

jmhepworth 10-26-2009 11:21 AM

I kept the plug in the tray so that it captured all of the saw residue. I just scooped it out periodically. I now have a five gallon bucket full of fire clay to use when I build another one.

Joe

RTflorida 10-26-2009 05:38 PM

A wet saw indoors gets a bit messy, even if you recirculate the water in the tray you still have to contend with the spray going all over. The closest I have come to indoor use is my attached garage (cars pulled out in the driveway of course).

RT

Tscarborough 10-26-2009 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If it doesn't have a plug, tilt it back and to the side just a little so that the water runs out of the corner into the bucket. The pumps don't really clog anyway so long as you freshen the water occasionally.

As an FYI, I save all of the brick dust for a gauging and colorant material. Who can guess what this is:

kebwi 10-26-2009 09:08 PM

Yeah, it has a plug, I forgot. I only just put it together last night. I haven't even turned it on yet.

Thanks.

fxpose 10-27-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tscarborough (Post 68952)
Who can guess what this is:

Polar region of Mars? :p :D