Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Harbor Freight 10" Tile Saw

I took the extra time to make sure the little nozzles inside the blade guard pointed water on the blade vs on the guard and feel that largely contributed to the long blade life I expereinced.

I like the way the water sprays off the blade - makes it very easy to line up cuts on marked bricks.

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Apprentice

The water on mine is coming down the right side of the blade, on the blade itself. It just looks like there is less on the left side of the blade. The blade and cut definitely stay wet, but it seems like I read some advertising for some other high end saw that touted that their water system kept both sides of the blade wet or some such. I was just wondering if anybody thought it mattered, given that the cut stays very wet the whole time as is.

I would also be interested in seeing more photos of jigs that people rig to make special cuts. I believe in all the hundreds of photos that I have looked at I can only remember seeing one picture showing a set up for a specific cut, though I am sure there are more. I think a thread with good saw setup ideas would be valuable.

Travis
Old 10-28-2008, 05:34 AM
Apprentice

The water was coming just down on the right side of my blade as well. I had to adjust the left side a little to get it to hit the blade.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Serf

Picked one up the other day. Even though they said the sale had ended, I was visibly bummed and they gave it to me for the sale price anyway. So it might not hurt to ask about sale prices even if it's not on sale, seems they have some wiggle room.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
Picked one up the other day. Even though they said the sale had ended, I was visibly bummed and they gave it to me for the sale price anyway.
Harbour Freight = Very low production costs/High profit margin

I really enjoy my HF tile saw

Updated!

Old 11-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Apprentice

Grats Skool on your purchase. I am pretty sure your gonna like it!
Travis
Old 11-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Serf

well I've made one cut so far--cut a brick in half--and I already love it! I really wrestled over whether to get it and I already feel like "what the heck was I thinking?!"
Old 11-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I just bought a respirator from their website so I can start getting their "flyer" emailed to me and hope somehow I get a 15% off coupon or something in the next month to buy the 10" as well. I wish I was following them last month for the coupon price. Ya know, at $299 plus $59 for the stand and $19 for the diamond blade, home depot has some brand of the same thing for $399 but everyone on this site seems happy with the "Chicago" brand from Harbor Freight and I could use my saw horse table.

Happy wet-saw cutting!

-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Laborer

Harbor Freight is running special in store sales this weekend, Nov 15-17th and the day after thanksgiving.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Apprentice

Judging on the pictures from the home depot web site, their $398 (w/ stand and blade) QEP brand saw looks like it could me made at the same factory as the $299 (-15%) Harbor Freight saw, or at least parts of it The QEP had a 2 hp motor versus the 2.5 advertised by HF. The biggest obvious difference is that HF has a much beefier and adjustable support for the motor/blade unit, which I suspect would contribute to smoother cuts.

The QEP adversies two speeds (manually), which to me means two step pullies on the motor and the blade drive shaft and you have to manually move the belt from on set to the other.

Dino, if by chance I get another 15% off coupon, I will gladly mail it to you. And I too heard on the radio that HF had some kind of sale going on around Thanksgiving.

Good luck,
Travis