Old 01-03-2008, 03:58 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Forno Bravo's Infrared Thermometer

Ken 524,
I'm trying to source a similar gadget here in Australia.
Mind if I ask the brand of the FB thermometer?
(Any local advice would be welcome, eh fellers.) Best link I've found so far is
www.instrumentsandsensor.com, but still searching.
They advertise a combination IR/probe job (TCT303F) for approx Aus$145 delivered, but ranges up to 250 celcius only: shame.
This, (like bricklaying), is all virgin ground for this little black duck.
Quack quackk.
Jeff.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Peasant

Santa was very nice to me this year. I received the infrared thermometer and it IS excellent My niece also gave me some Caputo flour and now I'm hooked on that. I also received the 10" X 8" steel peel and the long leather gloves. All of the above make the pizza cooking process much more accurate and enjoyable.

Only one small complaint about the gloves. It seems that there are a few small holes where the finger seams are and it doesn't look as if its from being burnt from flying ashes. I will contact FB customer service about it.

Since the weather has been cooperating, we have been having friends and family over for "Holiday Pizzas" and everyone is impressed about how fast the pizzas cook and the taste.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 AM
Journeyman

G'day fellers.
Yesterday I asked about the FB thermometer, as in manufacturer and model ID. If I lived in N America, I'd buy from FB shop. Alas, I'm cursed with living in God's Own Country, and will support local Capitalists where feasable.
So tell me, where SHOULD I have looked for both my post, and a response??
(Or did my post not arrive @ FB site?)
The latter is highly likely, and a tad irritating when one is a one-finger-chook-picker.
HooRoo.
Jeff.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Journeyman

Hi Jeff.......................You are looking for a 'point & shoot' thermometer which will measure up to approx 1000 degrees f. One with an optional probe would be ideal but more expensive.

A quick search on Google.au turns up this....................

infrared thermometer - Google Search

You pay your money and make your choice.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jeff, why not call FB and see if something can be worked out on shipping so that you can buy one from them. Who knows? James is on vacation so no answer there for a while.
Per James:
"if you are looking for the correct (and much lower) shipping cost, call our main line (800 407 5119) and press the buttons either for oven sales (Tammy) or accessories (Krista), and they will get the right cost for you."

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jeff,

Sorry for the late reply, just got back from work, Christmas, more work, a cruise, and yet more work.

The thermometer I received from FB is a BonJour brand "Laser Probe Combo Thermometer".

It's great fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

Old 05-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Serf

Hi,
Does anyone know the correct emissivity setting for using an IR thermometer with FB modulars? Thanks!
Old 05-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm going to guess that the emissivity characteristics of a modular oven would be similar to firebrick.

The default setting of my FB thermometer is 0.95. It seems to work fine on 90% of the surfaces I've tried it on. It definitely is out-of-whack on shiny surfaces (like my stainless steel chimney). But for the oven bricks, 0.95 is very consistent.

Updated!