Old 03-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Serf

Default Re: firebrick

thank you I found here fireclay in 1 gallon buckets (kind of liquid inside ) I did not open it, would I buy it and add cement?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Master Builder

You should be able to get powdered fireclay in bags from your local brick supplier...you may also find that they may have HeatStop which is a premixed refractory mortar...if they have the heatstop I would recommend it but if it is too costly or not available the fireclay should be around and not too expensive...with the fireclay you would mix 3 parts sharp sand to one part of each fireclay, hydrated lime, and portland cement to create a good refractory mortar
Best
Dutch
Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Serf

Thank you still looking for dry clay can't find yet.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Serf

Do you use firebricks for dome of the oven I read that people use it only for floor but highest temperature on the dome?????
Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Apprentice

Kerimh44,
You should be able to get the fireclay from a local Pottery Supply Shop. It comes dry, in bags similar to concrete products.
Yes use fire bricks for the dome and the floor.
Cheers,
Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Do you use firebricks for dome of the oven I read that people use it only for floor but highest temperature on the dome?
Yes, you use firebricks for the dome, which is a higher temperature and stress area than the floor. In some places firebricks are expensive, but they are cheap in the US and there is no reason to use inferior materials for your dome.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Serf

I am slowly getting ready to put an oven together in NW Austin, so thank you for posting this. Dr D.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Serf

Anybody knows what is the difference of using fireclay v's refractory mortar??? Please
Old 05-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Apprentice

Fireclay is a component use in manufacture of fire brick and ceramics and has a fusion point greater the 1600 deg C. Refractory mortar is used to bond fire bricks together. Just like regular mortar but made with components to withstand high temps.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Master Builder

Fireclay is just one component of refractory mortar. It needs to be mixed with lime, sand, and portland cement. It makes a refractory mortar of good quality.

Premixed refractory mortar (like Refmix or HeatStop) is just that, premixed. You just add water. It's great stuff to work with, but can be quite costly.

Either will work. Cost, availability, and convenience are factors to consider.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.