Old 06-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Serf

Default Re: firebrick

Check out beeradvocate.com- all the info you could ever need or use. Look under groups and find homebrewing, lots of good info and people(kinda like this place ). Also google and see if you have any local shops near you. Usually very friendly folks that love to share knowlege. Support locals if possible, there don't seem to be a lot around and being able to talk face to face is priceless. Best of luck!

Last edited by reefman; 06-10-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Hello people!!!!!... My name is Daniel and I live in Houston Tx.
I am trying to find a place where they sell firebricks to build a fireplace in my backyard.
I have been looking for all sides but only with it construction bricks.
Hi, Daniel, welcome.

You want a brickyard or masonry supply, rather than a home center or lumberyard. Houston is a big city and there must be a lot of them. I did a google maps search for masonry supplies, and there were multiple choices.

Perhaps some of our Texas members will jump in here with specific recommendations.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Master Builder

Note the second post is from Houston area...bricks at 97 cents
Old 06-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Serf

Thanks for the welcome boys!!!!
This evening, I already found the firebricks. I paid 1 dollar (each) in Headwaters const. materials in Houston.
Another question: what kind of cement do I need use for those firebricks ??
There, did they say to me that it is possible to use portland cement, Is this truth???
Old 06-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Journeyman

Sorry I just noticed this thread. I got my bricks from Town and Country bricks in Tomball and from American Brick and Stone in Magnolia. I would not use portland cement, even for a fireplace. You're probably better off making your own refractory mortar, or ordering it from FB or your local refractory supply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Serf

What about fire clay? Sorry if this is a noob question. I called a local block supplier I know yesterday about brick and asked about high temp. mortor. He said he carries fire clay and I didn't go further with him.

Would you use this to mix your own and if so, how? Sorry to thread jack.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Master Builder

RT,

I've always had good luck with Charles Papazian "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". When we were brewing a lot (my wife and I, in college, before kids), this seemed to be the standard all of my friends were using.

Amazon.com: The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Third Edition (Harperresource Book): Charles Papazian: Books

Old 06-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Serf

Definetly a staple must-have for beginner brewers. Hey lays every thing out in an easy to understand way that anyone can get going.

Looks like we're following eachother around the site mfiore,haha
Old 03-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefman View Post
What about fire clay? Sorry if this is a noob question. I called a local block supplier I know yesterday about brick and asked about high temp. mortor. He said he carries fire clay and I didn't go further with him.

Would you use this to mix your own and if so, how? Sorry to thread jack.
I am newbie too and have the same question about fire clay, anybody experienced can enplane what it used for?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerimh44 View Post
I am newbie too and have the same question about fire clay, anybody experienced can enplane what it used for?
It very simply is the clay that is used for making high temperature items like firebrick and crucibles...it has a higher percentage of silicon and aluminum oxides and fewer calcium, potassium and sodium oxides...when you mix it with standard mortars comprised of portland cement, lime and sand it creates a similar chemical compostition to that of the firebrick you are using to construct the oven/furnace/fireplace, etc...
Hope this helps!
Best
Dutch