Old 09-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Embarassingly simple wood-working question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
I have a bunch of these tools (including a 1954 shopsmtih, which is a table saw, drill press, and lathe combo). But my Bosch Jigsaw is an amazing tool, it can rip or crosscut and stays very straight! I tend to pull it out much more than my circular saw.

Drake
I love bosch jigsaws. I own 2 or 3, D handle and Barrel. Even a 30 year old screw change. Still no way I would use it for that unless I had no other choice - it would be an exercise in frustration.

For those reading, if you insist on using a jigsaw, the appropriate blade choice will make your life a lot easier.

To put together oven framing, (or house framing for that matter) the tools I would use would be a chop saw, a circular saw, and a pneumatic framing gun - hitachi NR83 of course... considered the gold standard around here.

A handsaw and hammer will work as well, and are what most masons use, along with a worm drive saw with a brick blade in it if they have juice

Here's a link to my oven pics thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
As a side note: you're building forms with the wood, right? You're not trying to support your oven on a wood frame?
I did... it works just fine. Don't knock it until you've tried it.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Peasant

actually, though I'm glad it works for you, supporting a hot masonry mass on wood is something I've got no problem knocking and not trying

It can work, no doubt - see old whaling ships etc. But I'd have trouble recommending it as an approach for most people... considering the work and money involved in building a WFO it seems not worth the risk.

Here's a link to my oven pics thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

So, do those of you who use hand-held circular saws prefer your blade on the inside of the saw (blade left of saw for righties, vs/va for lefties) or on the outside of the saw (blade right of saw for righties, vs/va for lefties)? I am weary to designate either saw design as right or left handed because my internet research has suggested there is minimal consensus on this terminology such that we might misunderstand each other in this discussion, so go with the terminology I used if possible.

Seems natural to me to want the blade on the inside so you can see it clearly, but I have read that the sawdust will basically be thrown away from the saw, thus into you with an inside blade and away from you with an outside blade. I also read that if the saw catches and jumps, it is more likely to jump away from the saw, which is a major argument in favor of the blade-outside usage...but then you can't see the blade.

Thoughts?
Old 09-15-2009, 01:52 PM

Saw motors aren't reversible like drills: you're going to get precious little traction running a saw blade backwards. These things are unsafe enough as it is.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't understand that comment at all. What do you mean run the blade backwards? I was just talking about which hand you hold it with.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Master Builder

I didn't realize they made left handed circular saws (and I've owned several over the years). I'm so used to using my "right handed" circular saw with my left hand that it doesn't feel awkward and hinder its use.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

GAH! I can't follow you at all. When you saw right-handed saw, I don't know which one you mean by that, thus my terminology above. Let me break it down here.

Do you hold your saw's trigger handle, the one in the rear, with your left or right hand?

Is your saw's blade on the left side of the motor or the right side of the motor?

That's it, that's all I want to know. :-)
Old 09-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Master Builder

I hold, trigger, and push my circular saw with my left hand. The blade is on the left, motor to the right.
Like I said, I've never seen a circular saw designed for left handed users (blade on the right side)

Old 09-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks. They do seem to make them both ways and as far as I can tell, there are arguments both ways...which means maybe it doesn't make any difference.

...I'm new to this...my dad had a great woodshop when I was a kid and I did lots of small projects on my own, but I never ventured past drills and jigsaws when it came to his power tools. Now I'm 34 and I literally don't know how to old a circular saw. It's humiliating. :-)

Cheers!

Tags
table circular saw