Old 02-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Door Autoclaved airated cement block

Gudday all
Problem wih building a temperary anything and it works... you keep on using it and never build a "proper" one.
So I've made my mind up the door has to get pulled apart or I'll never build another
Door Autoclaved airated cement block-od-001.jpg Door Autoclaved airated cement block-od-005.jpg

Pulling it apart was interesting the hebel surface was basically a bit smoke stained and chipped but still in good condition not deteriated at all from the heat. The ply that it was bolted to was also still good I 1/2 expected to find some heat damage around the bolt holes but there was none. Did however showed charring on the bottom edge where it was in contact with the hearth bricks at the entrance no scorching anywhere else so the hebel did its job.
So I started Mk 111 door this time using silastic instead of bolts
Old 02-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Apprentice

hey Dave, i think i have read somewhere that you could also use calcium silicate board as a door...is that right?. I think it may have to be covered with steel sheeting of some sort to help protect from the initial fire/heat.
this is what i was going to use, i dont think its too expensive either, about $25 a sheet.
interestingly..which would be lighter...hebel or cal. sil. board?

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Using silastic I glued the hebel to a face made of two pieces of 10mm ply screwed together.
Door Autoclaved airated cement block-od-002.jpg
2 pieces so if the silastic didn't work out I can unscrew them bolt the hebel on them rescrew the secound over the top to cover the hot bolt heads. I used 3 in ( 75mm)hebel as i did in the first and cut a 1 in (25 mm) revel
Too bloody heavy I was sure mark 1 didn't weigh this much so I weighed it ....12.6 KG.....Decieded that was getting too much so I set about reducing the weight
Door Autoclaved airated cement block-od-007.jpg
Cut 25 mm off the whole thing and recut the revel weighed the door again.....9.4 KG thats better and the thing even though still quite heafty is usable. as you can see I used hand tools to do this it real dusty stuff and power tools would just make a big mess. Its real easy to saw and rasp Ive carved things with it before
Click image for larger version

Name:	od 007.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	28402 Door Autoclaved airated cement block-od-008.jpg
Final door also has a the ply cut higher than the hebel on the bottom and a piece of alum angle to protect it from the hot bricks. I be testing this one to see that it works and I'm on the lookout for some interesting hardwood to replace the outer piece of ply with.
Sorry some of the photo got mixed up but thats all to date

Regards Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Door Autoclaved airated cement block-doors-003.jpg   Door Autoclaved airated cement block-od-004.jpg  

Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-17-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete View Post
hey Dave, i think i have read somewhere that you could also use calcium silicate board as a door...is that right?. interestingly..which would be lighter...hebel or cal. sil. board?
Gudday Pete
Have some cal sil board and its real light... lighter than hebel. Real soft to. My problem with it it is that it really needs to be covered with a metal skin. My metal working skills are not that advanced and the door that I did see "proffesionally" made was worth $300. Bloody beautiful job looked great And you can just guess what ....gets real hot.... not what you need from an insulated door. Definitly need to separate the outer and inner parts!
I'll keep the cal sil board and this can be on ongoing project.
Meanwhile the hebel door has proven to work well ....is easy to make...cheap and the parts easy to obtain.
Now that Ive written this out I have a thought... perhaps a composite could work an outer wood door with a metal protective layer on the inside to protect the cal sil.... could work

Thanks Dave

Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-17-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:28 AM
Apprentice

that sounds like a plan Dave, show us some pics when your done. I'm still yet to make my door, yours will be interesting to see how it comes up.

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday All
Got the oportunity to flash the oven up only 3 times since the new door was made, due to rain, general business and more bloody rain!
Door Autoclaved airated cement block-dooragain.jpg
As you can see the silastic doing its job and the doors still together!
Theres a coupla dings and chips , but I expect that. I noticed that the bright white colour has deminished a bit and its starting to get a lite brown colour in sections...the old door was well browned off. Its also lost the powdery white residue of freshly cut hebel gives off.
I'll now take off the extra layer off plywood and replace it with a hardwood face and oil it. I'll also carry a strip of wood around the edges to protect the hebel edge but just off the brick so it won't burn. I also scored some new handles to replace the old ones off my tool drawers.
Door Autoclaved airated cement block-door-handle.jpg

Regards Dave
Old 10-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Gudday
Finally got around to fitting that hardwood face (only taken me 6 mths)
Door Autoclaved airated cement block-finish-door.jpg
A nice piece of blackbut come my way with the handles it looks pretty good.
The doors still together the silastics held up. I now realise that the oven door usually goes on with the temp about 350 C so the hebel must protect it to that temp at least. With no bolts through the door these no hot spots and the surface of the door and the handles are always cool. The only disadvantage is of course the hebels brittle I have one small chip in one edge it doesnt effect the doors operation and you certainly can't see it so I can live with that. I made a wood door just out of a packing crate as I could find little about them on the forum. It was a lot of fun and it worked well enough so I have the following link which might be of help to somene ( the wood doors at the end of the thread)
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/...e-i-18514.html (Maybe a silly question .... but ... here I go)

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 10-27-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: refix attachment