Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Dome spreadsheet calculator

Wouldn't this effectively be 0?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Serf

I meant, the dimensions of the brick. I see cut brick dimensions (columns Q & S) for inside bottom and outside bottom. I was hoping for inside top and outside top to be added.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I believe the calculator is only for hemispheres so the inside and outside dimension is the same everywhere, when measures from the top center of the floor.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
I meant, the dimensions of the brick. I see cut brick dimensions (columns Q & S) for inside bottom and outside bottom. I was hoping for inside top and outside top to be added.
If you have the angle set correctly, the top of the brick dimension is not really relevant. It will just turn out to be the right dimension. But if you want to calculate it, you have the measurement of two sides and you know the angle - so it's just the Pythagorean theorem at work...

Old 01-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
2.5" is right. I wasn't too clear on the all the nuanced bricklayer terminology when I built the spreadsheet - but that cell refers to the height of the bottom vertical course - which, because it is vertical, is not part of the arc and has to be accounted for in the calcs.
I am just reading some of the posts about the spread sheet calc. In regards to the measurement from floor to top of solider course. the solider is a half brick which is 4.5 inches high,
the floor firebrick is 2.5 inches thick. Solider is 2 inches higher than floor minus thickness of plywood floor covering/ protection. Also minus the measurement from plywood to center of pivot point on the IT. Am I wrong, just want to make sure before I start my build, after^%$%^^%%$$$snow melts and it warms up. Thanks for your help
Old 01-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campmaki View Post
I am just reading some of the posts about the spread sheet calc. In regards to the measurement from floor to top of solider course. the solider is a half brick which is 4.5 inches high,
the floor firebrick is 2.5 inches thick. Solider is 2 inches higher than floor minus thickness of plywood floor covering/ protection. Also minus the measurement from plywood to center of pivot point on the IT. Am I wrong, just want to make sure before I start my build, after^%$%^^%%$$$snow melts and it warms up. Thanks for your help
Oppps went on your Face book page and looked at pics. I now see you layed your first course flat , so your measurements are correct. sorry, would like to chat about your build on fbook if you accept my friend request, Wayne
Old 01-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wayne -
Yeah, I don't see many builders laying soldier courses like the forno bravo instructions show any more - most are using flat bricks. But if you want a soldier course then yes, you are correct - just input the height of the course above the floor. As far as the plywood layer goes - the spreadsheet is set up to account for that by the measurement of the IT pivot above the floor. That should give you the measurements correctly.

Not meaning to be rude - but I prefer to keep the pizza oven talk on the pizza oven board. If you have questions that may be applicable to others - please ask here in the forum. Or you can PM me here, I still check in frequently and am more active here than on Facebook!

Old 05-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Apprentice

Hi Deejay,
I have a clarifying question. I am building a 42" oven and have built a chipster jig. I have my side angle set at 5 Degrees. My question is around tilt. I tilted the jig a little too high at 5 degrees for sailor course number 1. It worked out fine but I realize that the tilt was too much. So for course number two my tilt is supposed to be 1.9

Using my iphone I can adjust my tilt and watch the level increase with my leveling app.
Am I reading the spreadsheet right in that 1.9 is 1.9 degrees of tilt?

That is my question.
Thanks

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
WC Fields

Link to my build

Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Novaslo -

Yes - that should be right. Are you adjusting the cut to account for the steepness of the first course?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Apprentice

I thought of that and will do my best to do that. Is that something I can simply enter into the spreadsheet? I will be more precise now that I have experienced this haha.

Any advise that you have regarding this would be welcome.

Thanks

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
WC Fields

Link to my build

Tags
calculator, spreadsheet