Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Serf

Default Re: Dome spreadsheet calculator

Fantastic!
For version 3 however your "Soldier" or "Sailor" Course angle and brick calculation has to be modified to take into account what the "back" wall thickness will be.
In my case I'm using 3" thick bricks in soldier style (upright) so the backs will touch and I need to temporarily change the (brick width)=(Brick height) to do the correct calculation.
Not sure this makes sense but will explain further when i have a chance to draw a diagram
Old 06-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grtiz View Post
But if the soldier course does not extend about the floor like in your build you would have to put in zero for the height above the floor or do we consider that first course as part of the floor of the oven?

The spreadsheet will not function with anything less than 1.01.

So is the soldier course on your spreadsheet what most builds call course one?
yes, what I called soldier course is really the height of the first course above the floor. The spreadsheet needs this measurement because that course is vertical - and as such, is not really part of the "arc" of the dome (because arcs don't have flat spots). So the math for the arc only works above that course.

On the 1.01 issue - The spreadsheet won't function with any height for this course that is less than the height of the pivot - which is defaulted at 1". If a dome arc starts below the pivot point, then the shape of the resulting dome will be will be greater than a hemisphere. To give an extreme example - if the IT pivot was a foot off the floor, and the vertical course was only 2" high, the resulting product would look like an onion dome. The spreadsheet isn't built to cover that scenario.

I'll update the spreadsheet to note that that measure refers to the height of vertical courses above the floor, as it seems a bit confusing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I just posted an updated version of the dome-calculator that has the right measurements for a Chipster-style jig. Thanks to Gritz for pointing out the issues. Should support either style of jig now. See the first entry of this thread for the download.

Dennis

Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Peasant

Thank you so much for putting this together. I can see I was way off! The bricks I cut for course 1 are better suited for course 9 or 10
Old 08-06-2013, 06:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I just posted an updated version of the dome-calculator that has the right measurements for a Chipster-style jig. Thanks to Gritz for pointing out the issues. Should support either style of jig now. See the first entry of this thread for the download.

Dennis
Dennis,

I am not sure how I missed this thread for so long. Great work....

And thanks for the reference to a "Chipster-Style" jig, I was unaware that it was that famous.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Apprentice

This is fantastic and just what I was looking for to study. Your link to Hendo's explanations is very helpful as well. Going to start on my IT tomorrow and my fiber board also comes then. I'll have about a week and a half where I won't be able to work on it, but I can use that time to start planning!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Apprentice

I meant to also say that Hendo is still keeping an eye on us
Old 09-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirassou View Post
I meant to also say that Hendo is still keeping an eye on us
I expect he is. To that, while you're planning - check out my note at the end of his "Dome Gauge" sticky. That post should probably be updated to reflect updated IT design

Old 09-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Apprentice

Ahh yes, I see! pesky little things these measurements!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Serf

Is it possible to put the inside top and outside top dimensions in the spreadsheet too? I see the bottom dimensions, but it would be great to have the top dimensions too, just as a way to make sure the whole jig thing is set up right. Thanks for considering this addition!

Tags
calculator, spreadsheet