Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dome spreadsheet calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hi Deejayoh

I have checked Hendo's Twist and Tilt thread you referenced, but still dont understand the tilt and side angle values you mention.

Was wondering if you could look at my build last page and look at the pictures of the brick saw jig i have had made to clarify my thinking.

I am using 75/63 3/2.5" tapered bricks.
Hopefully this will help explain it, it is a graphic of a half brick viewed from the back with labels for the angles. Let me know if it helps. If it does, I will probably paste into the spreadsheet.
Dome spreadsheet calculator-brick-cutting-terms.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deejayoh; 03-09-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: convert to larger graphic
Old 03-13-2013, 06:05 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Deejayoh

that makes it much clearer, and a great idea to put it in the spread sheet.

I get completely confused with nonclemature bevels, tapers, side angle, tilt it is very confusing.

So if you look at my jig [same as Utahbeehiver] if i lift the half brick from flat that will give the tilt adjusting the stop angle will give the side angle.

Have i got this right? If you could confirm that would be great.

The other thing i have to ask, I'm using tapered bricks. If sitting on the tray they obviously will sit flat placing the brick on that angle, will that alter the figures in the spreadsheet as i can clamp the brick to the brick stop which will have it sitting as a full brick would sit.

Will this have an impact on the cuts and angles?

My Build -
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
So if you look at my jig [same as Utahbeehiver] if i lift the half brick from flat that will give the tilt adjusting the stop angle will give the side angle.

Have i got this right? If you could confirm that would be great.
Looking at the first picture in post #112 on your thread, yes, I think that is correct
TILT = the angle of the plate
SIDE = the angle of the Angle Iron

Quote:
The other thing i have to ask, I'm using tapered bricks. If sitting on the tray they obviously will sit flat placing the brick on that angle, will that alter the figures in the spreadsheet as i can clamp the brick to the brick stop which will have it sitting as a full brick would sit.

Will this have an impact on the cuts and angles?
Yep. You'll need to decrease the angles by the amount of taper on the brick. But why are you using tapered bricks if you've gone to all the trouble of setting up the jig? Seems like a lot of extra cost when you are going to cut them yourself.

That is one nice jig, btw - wish I had one like that!

Last edited by deejayoh; 03-13-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Looking at the first picture in post #112 on your thread, yes, I think that is correct
TILT = the angle of the plate
SIDE = the angle of the Angle Iron

Yep. You'll need to decrease the angles by the amount of taper on the brick. But why are you using tapered bricks if you've gone to all the trouble of setting up the jig? Seems like a lot of extra cost when you are going to cut them yourself.

That is one nice jig, btw - wish I had one like that!
Thanks for that very clear now. I am using tapered bricks as over here in Australia, they are the same price as straights. I got mine at a good price from trickle in Oz.

Any idea of the angle decrease considering the tapper.?

My Build -
Old 03-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am not certain on the angle, you'll have to measure one of your bricks to figure out what the angle is for the taper.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Journeyman

Started cutting bricks today for the first 2 courses. I am running the spreadsheet on my IPad using an app. When I enter a zero in the cell for the height above the floor of the solider course the spreadsheet (see image) calculations don't make sense. I entered 2.5 in that cell and everything seems to work. I assume the results will work work fine. The side angle only varies by .1 degree for all the courses. Assuming this is correct i went ahead and screwed down the guide bar. By the way I had trouble adjusting the jig angle accurately. I worked out a method that seems to work. Hope you will check my last post (#65) and comment. I have not seen this discussed so assume people are setting their jigs without difficulty and I and missing something obvious.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/36...tml#post150767 (36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly)
Attached Thumbnails
Dome spreadsheet calculator-image_fe11afde-a14f-4d1a-a0b5-126cb59da5ac.jpg  

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 05-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Master Builder

Hi Dennis

Sent you a pm.

My Build -
Old 05-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
Started cutting bricks today for the first 2 courses. I am running the spreadsheet on my IPad using an app. When I enter a zero in the cell for the height above the floor of the solider course the spreadsheet (see image) calculations don't make sense. I entered 2.5 in that cell and everything seems to work. I assume the results will work work fine. The side angle only varies by .1 degree for all the courses. Assuming this is correct i went ahead and screwed down the guide bar. By the way I had trouble adjusting the jig angle accurately. I worked out a method that seems to work. Hope you will check my last post (#65) and comment. I have not seen this discussed so assume people are setting their jigs without difficulty and I and missing something obvious.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/36...tml#post150767 (36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly)
2.5" is right. I wasn't too clear on the all the nuanced bricklayer terminology when I built the spreadsheet - but that cell refers to the height of the bottom vertical course - which, because it is vertical, is not part of the arc and has to be accounted for in the calcs.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
2.5" is right. I wasn't too clear on the all the nuanced bricklayer terminology when I built the spreadsheet - but that cell refers to the height of the bottom vertical course - which, because it is vertical, is not part of the arc and has to be accounted for in the calcs.
But if the soldier course does not extend about the floor like in your build you would have to put in zero for the height above the floor or do we consider that first course as part of the floor of the oven?

The spreadsheet will not function with anything less than 1.01.

So is the soldier course on your spreadsheet what most builds call course one?

Last edited by Grtiz; 06-16-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Serf

This is amazing, now i just need to understand how to use it. I am about to start my 42" Pompeii and i have a few questions. Does this suggest that i trim each half-brick on both sides (i expected that) but also on top and bottom or is the 'tilt angle' merely showing how much of a shim i place on the outside? And the total brick count expects me to get two useable half-bricks from each brick, correct?

Tags
calculator, spreadsheet