Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Tools, Tips and Techniques (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   Dogloo as a form (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/dogloo-form-2379.html)

Johan 08-12-2007 08:31 PM

Dogloo as a form

So has anyone tried using one of the Igloo style dog houses as a form to build an oven around? To remove the dog house all it would take is a Roto Zip and a vacuum.

My only concern in trying this is the dome height might be to high, the opening could be adjusted easily. Would appreciate in comments, concerns or rude remarks.

Thanks
JB

Archena 08-13-2007 04:11 AM

Re: Dogloo as a form

~burp~

Sorry, you said rude remarks... :D

They make them in more than one size, I think. I'm interested in seeing what folks think now myself. The only thing that I'd wonder about is how do you clean the excess mortar when you can't get to it until after it's dry? Sanding would be messy and chiseling is asking for trouble.

wlively 08-13-2007 04:21 AM

IMHO it would be alot more trouble to use than it's worth. Maybe, if you just use a small piece of the very top, small enough to retrieve out the opening. But in general there are much easier and cheaper methods; foam slices, rising floor, wood sticks, and no forms at all, ect,ect.

dmun 08-13-2007 04:42 AM

A quick google search (I'd never seen one) showed a lot of them from free to cheap on craigslist. I guess dogs don't like them very much. They are said to be foam: How hard could they be to bust up?

Archena 08-13-2007 05:18 PM

Um, pretty hard - structural foam includes PVC.

The things are real popular - which is why so many are left over.

Try under Dogloo.

demona165 08-15-2007 08:44 PM

Hi Johan,

Believe or not, but thats exactly what I will be using for the dome. I bought a giant size one (which is huge, but I do alot of entertaining) and will be doing the dome this weekend, since I just picked up all the materials needed. My husband will adjust the opening from its original dimensions to about 20wx13h, which in one of the threads posted James(forno bravo expert) suggest not for the opening to be much bigger cause you lose too much heat. The dogloo is VERY hard foam, so we are hoping to make some cuts in the shape and spraying it with maybe pam(or some olive oil spray)b4 putting on the wire mesh and heat stop 50 so that its easier to pull away. If anyone has any suggestions or criticism, they are welcome. This whole project is new for us so, we will accept any input. I will advise you (if you like) as to what we do from beginning to end of this project.
Jean

Archena 08-16-2007 05:29 AM

My (uneducated) suggestion: take just a tiny bit of mortar (like a half cup), mix it and dump it on a section you won't be using. Let it harden and then see if it sticks. Concrete is kinda weird - it sticks like crazy to some things and not at all to others. I'm wondering if structural foam would be porous enough for it to stick to at all.

If it does, then you can simply wrap the thing in plastic sheeting. The sheeting won't stick and even if it gets caught in something you can easily yank it out. Unlike the boards for the hearth form, the igloo would take multiple applications of oil since you won't be managing the build in a single day (not unless you're really, really fast) let alone the short time it would take to do a pour.

dmun 08-16-2007 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demona165 (Post 13803)
James suggests not for the opening to be much bigger cause you lose too much heat. The dogloo is VERY hard foam, so we are hoping to make some cuts in the shape and spraying it with maybe pam(or some olive oil spray)b4 putting on the wire mesh and heat stop 50 so that its easier to pull away.

Here's an idea. The dogloo is too tall not only in the opening, but in the dome as well. Why not lay it on the oven floor, and lay a circle of 4 x 4 timber chunks around it as your first course. You could then build your dome on the timber support, maybe laying in a few over-long bricks to use as hand-holds near the bottom. When the dome is solidified, you lift it up, bang loose the form and remove it. Then lower the dome onto a layer of refractory mortar on the oven floor.

The FB Artigiano ovens are shipped complete and lifted into place by four people. I don't see you couldn't do that, particularly if if you used real refractory mortar to put it together.

demona165 08-16-2007 10:21 AM

Thanx for the input, I will inform my husband of your ideas (since he will be doing all the manual labor...lol) I know he has ideas of his own rolling around his head, but your ideas might click with his and maybe it will make some applications easier to apply then what he had thought.
Jean

asudavew 08-19-2007 06:24 PM

I was thinking about you Dogloo idea, and I may have possibly improved upon the idea.

Why not smear Vaseline all over the house, then several layers of tissue paper.
Then, using newspaper and thinned out Elmer's glue, place 5 or 6 layers of paper mache over the top. After drying, the paper house should pop right off (thanks to the Vaseline) and could be used for the form. It would easily burn out on the first firing. And you would still have your Dogloo.

The height could even be adjusted by cutting a dome off of the completed paper mache Dogloo and lowering it or raising it with some more paper mache "band aids"

Just my thoughts.
What does everyone think?

Dave