Old 08-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Serf

Default Re: DIY oven tools

wow! theyre very nice. Good job, man!
and So does Grimaldi.
im trying to make some DIY too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Apprentice

Had some time to squeeze in a little more work on the tools this morning...

I began by polishing, somewhat, the aluminum peels and rake. Frankly, I know they are gonna get scuffed up, but I wanted to take out the major grind marks so they wouldn't grab dough and such. I have a couple big buffers that I used to use for polishing custom motorcycle parts... Hot, dirty work. Still, the small shop that has a grinder can mount mount a buffing wheel and use a bar of jeweler's rouge. (Be sure to take your time and wear eye protection. Also, keep the part on the lower half of the wheel as it spins or the buff can grab it and throw it... dangerous. Gloves are a must, too. The piece can get very hot.)

After polishing, I used the bandsaw to notch the handles. Consider grain direction here. I notched across the grain to reduce the tendency of the wood to split.

I then found a 1/4" bit and a 1/4" rod of aluminum. I have copper (too expensive for this first attempt) and brass (colors would clash with the peels...) so, went with aluminum. I poistioned the peel in the notch and drilled ONE hole all the way through. I tapped (more like hammered) one pin in place, THEN drilled the second hole and tapped a pin in place.

The pin should be tapered on the end going in, then tapped through a little bit. I then trimmed the ends leaving a little to peen/flare with moderately heavy hammer blows on each side while resting the pin on a heavy steel vise.

In one pic you can see what happens if you over peen... You get to start over!! Since I do not have another handle, I will make this work for a while. When I get tired of it I'll cut the handle off, finish splitting to reveal the rivets, cut them and prep/install a new handle.

After peening, I trimmed off any excess pin and hit them with a sander or grinder.

Notice, too, that I was able to correct the large peel so that the handle is centered... (Recall that little boo boo?)

Next we took a few beauty shots...

I think I covered the basics with text and pics well enough to help someone else with this experiment. If you have questions, ask 'em!

Pics in this and the next post.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY oven tools-dscf0490sm.jpg   DIY oven tools-dscf0491sm.jpg   DIY oven tools-dscf0492sm.jpg   DIY oven tools-dscf0493sm.jpg   DIY oven tools-dscf0496sm.jpg  

Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Apprentice

A few more pics of the process...

Next, when I have time, I will make a tool stand for next to the oven and a wall mounted holder for these...

A note: The handles are either oak or hickory. Pretty stout and a bit heavy. Guess I'll get used to the heavy feel... An aluminum handle would be lighter, but would conduct heat and be more challenging to replace...
Attached Thumbnails
DIY oven tools-dscf0497sm.jpg   DIY oven tools-dscf0498sm.jpg   DIY oven tools-dscf0500sm.jpg   DIY oven tools-dscf0501sm.jpg   DIY oven tools-dscf0503sm.jpg  

Old 08-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Master Builder

CB...your metal tools look fantastic!

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 08-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Apprentice

Very nice, Countryboy! You really went all the way with the finishing and polishing. Even though they will get scratched up over time from use, it's nice to make them right. I've always looked at it as making things to age gracefully.

Looking forward to your performance report
Old 08-06-2010, 04:43 AM
Apprentice

Thanks guys.

Still need a wooden peel and have an improvise idea... Searched all over this area for a long handled peel and nobody had one. The shorthandled peels were either pricey or not to my liking.

I have a solution and will post pics soon as I can fabricate it.

Would scratch make one like George, but don't have a biscuit cutter.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Apprentice

Found what I needed the day before yesterday... First night for pizza tonight, so HAD to finish a bunch of stuff today. One thing is the wooden peel.

Found a nice bamboo tray that was thin,laminated and exceptionally strong and durable... Used an old post hole digger handle the boys have been stick/sword fighting with and several carriage bolts... Some sanding to further taper the leading edge as well as a little sanding on the handle, and I am happy with the final product.

I will need to poly the handle for durability, but the peel is pretreated with a food safe oil of some sort.

Pics follow.

Also, see my WFO thread for pics of the cleaned up work area and nearly finished oven!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY oven tools-dscf0511sm.jpg   DIY oven tools-dscf0512sm.jpg   DIY oven tools-dscf0513sm.jpg   DIY oven tools-dscf0514sm.jpg   DIY oven tools-dscf0516sm.jpg  

Old 08-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Master Builder

CB....your wooden tray idea is great! I'll do that with next peel project.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Apprentice

Thanks, FX.

Worked like a charm.... For putting the bread in. Worked fine with the pizza, but the coal bank was so large on this first run that we only had a small area just inside the door that we cooked on... Could have easily reached with a short handled peel.

May get/make a short peel for near placement and use the longer one for deeper in the oven.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Master Builder

I turned my old short handled kitchen oven peel into a long handled turning peel:
Attached Thumbnails
DIY oven tools-p1050019.jpg   DIY oven tools-p1050021.jpg