Old 10-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Serf

Default Re: Diamond Blade Question

I have had plenty of brick saw issues over the years. My last job I put a 14 inch diamond blade in a Makita drop saw (the type you cut steel with). This worked well but you tend to wear out the blade using it dry and you create lots of dust.

I was using my new brick saw today that I found at the dump. It cost me a few hundred dollars to rebuild it but the time was worthwhile. (see here The Bricksaw Project - Build Your Own Wood Oven). The problem I have always had with bricksaws is that if you hire one for the day you must have every cut for the whole project ready to go and you cut like mad until you are finished. Of course, having every cut needed for your wood oven ready is almost impossible.

I also agonised over the selection of a diamong blade. I decided to go with a brand-name blade and bought a Husqvarna "blue" general purpose blade off ebay. This appears to be working well but it is early days. This blade was over $200 from my local hardware (well known hardware store on South RD, St Mary's in Adelaide)and $89 off ebay. I really don't understand the pricing- if the blade is $60 wholesale the ebay seller is making a moderate profit. Conversely, the hardware store is making a whopping profit... enough of that for now.

My advice on diamond blades is to do a bit of research. It is worth understanding the theory behind the operation of the blade. It is important to match the blade to the material being cut and the saw you are using. At over $400 a blade, I couldn't afford a professional blade from Bianco's.

Good luck with your project.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Peasant

Not all blades are the same. Go to a masonry supply shop and they will be able to give you the appropriate blade. Blades have different numbers, that corespond to they hardness of the material being cut. If you use a hard blade on soft material you'll burn it up quickly. Also soaking the bricks as recommened always helps.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the input, guys. I found the $45 DeWalt blade at Lowe's (1mi from my house) and used a $10 off card that came in the mail. I put it on my HF saw and although it's a little thinner than the HF blade it cut through a brick paver like it was butter.

John
Old 10-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Do not try and cut it all the way through on one pass, it will bog, catch, and just in general wear out the blade. Cut it in 1/2 to 3/4 inch passes. For brick, firebrick, and most other non porcelain materials (granite being one exception), a segmented blade is faster and will last much longer.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Unless I'm missing it, HF doesn't sell a 10" segmented blade. Right? So, it has to come from HD or Lowe's then...or some other store, Ace, whatever, but not HF for a segmented blade. Right?

Sorry for the egregious acronym abuse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 10-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used a HF chop saw, 15 inch segmented diamond blade,, all on sale about 100 bucks all together, i kept the bricks in a 5 gal pail of water till I needed to cut them,, Not much dust and cut well.. I also used their brick tool and just one hit with the hammer split them nicely..

cheers
Mark
Old 10-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

@ThisOldGarageNJ:

This guy? - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 10-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

this one... worked great and cut them neatly with one smack 96319-0VGA

$19.99- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you use that and give it 2 taps on each side then one big one, it will break clean and square all the way around. Or just use the brick set alone.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Heat is what kills the diamond blades. Make sure you are cutting "wet" and slowly and they will last just about forever.